-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Random Friday

First of all, here's a big thank you to our veterans for your service to our country and for those of you in the U.S. Happy Veterans Day.

This is a wonderful time of year.  Unfortunately Halloween is over but there's still lots of autumn fun to be had before that long season that follows.

The Halloween Band's farewell tour.  Seen here at Watson's where some of these pictures were taken.

This had to come to my classroom to go with the book The Bumpy Little Pumpkin. Although it's not particularly little, it sure is bumpy!

Ooh, that cool blue squash is a stunning base for an autumn arrangement. 

The convergence of holidays in nurseries is delightful!

On a nursery visit during which I picked up a few ornamental cabbage/kale plants, the Tom remarked, "You sure go through a lot of those.  Do they die or something?"  Fascinating that he noticed what I'd bought in previous years and kind of funny that he didn't know that these only last a season.  Non gardeners, go figure.

Do you grow kale/cabbage for winter color?  


Long after the mums are gone, the kale and cabbage will be coloring our winter gardens all the way through spring if the slugs don't eat them all first.

Fall bulbs, the promise of spring, and evergreen pots to carry us through the bleak season.

Does this outfit make my hips look big?


The wettest October on record brought with it a lot of mushrooms!


And a dandelion that simply won't stop blooming!


 From Valley Nursery came this set of metal feathers, a couple of wings and a turkey head. What a fun way to extend the life or  our class jack-o-lantern.

Time to snuggle up beside a nice warm fire and enjoy being inside. 

13 comments:

  1. That mushroom and dandelion shot, I love it. Almost as much as I love Tom's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend practices his golf swing on the mushrooms in the lawn... I think a visit to a garden center or a nursery is in order. Kale and cabbage provide a good excuse (as if I need one). Are all you tulips planted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the tulips are in the ground! Okay, I put a few in a pot but other than those, they're ready for spring.

      Delete
  3. Fun stuff, Peter. The "fire" is pretty clever, I must say. Thanks for all the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mushroom shots! I have a handful of dandelions that won't stop blooming too. I don't do winter annuals, unless you count all the dead ones that I haven't yet pulled up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much drier here but many mushrooms. And your hips are quite a charming feature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did they get Kieth Richards to play in their Halloween band?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the red-flowered cyclamen in those planters beneath the bulb sign! And I kind of want that "fire."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the skeleton band! I Like ornamental kale but it's not the best investment here - I doubt it would have survived this week's 90F temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a big lover of ornamental cabbage. Hard not to feel they should be braised in a skillet, or have their leaves wrapped around a mix of rice and meat, then simmered in tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete


  10. If you are looking for any indoor house plant, office plant details on web then you can find all types of details here you can see this blog as free resources and guides which will help you to improve your knowledge about how to choose plants how to decorate your house, room or office choosing perfect plants and improve in atmosphere and air quality.
    indoorplants24 house plant care propagation guide

    ReplyDelete
  11. The turkey-pumpkin is a great idea!
    Your end of season looks much more promising than things on this side. We do have sun, but it just brings out all the gray in the tree trunks and browns of the dead leaves. I should have picked up a few cabbages!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those ornamental cabbages are gorgeous! Around here they wouldn't last long once a snowstorm hits, sadly. I grew some from seed once and they were delightful, if short-lived.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.