-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, November 7, 2016

In A Vase On Monday - Happy Third Anniversary Cathy!

Today marks the third anniversary of Cathy's addictive blogging meme, In A Vase On Monday.  In honor of the occasion, Cathy has challenged us to use three as a theme.  Click here to see her arrangement and links to those of other participants. Congratulations on three years of hosting and thank you for the opportunity to join in!

In the basement was this object reminiscent of a loving cup.  Add to that the crown of laurels pattern and it seemed an appropriate vessel for a celebratory arrangement.



I wanted to do something special for this occasion but couldn't find anything particularly marvelous in my garden so I stole  borrowed an idea from blogging pal Nadezda of Nadezda's Northern Garden and made three roses from maple leaves.  To see how Nadezda does it, click here.  Her roses are much better than mine.

Added to the roses are dried Lunaria annua  seed pods to add some shine and a few Cotoneaster branches with berries that are kind of lost behind everything else.

Joining the arrangement is a little maple leaf bowl with attached chickadee looking at three fruits of Physalis alkekengi (actually the papery covering of same.)
Here's to many more years of In A Vase on Monday!  

12 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. I am off schedule for vase-making with the election almost here. Love those maple leaf roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired! Those 'roses' are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea. Nadezda's instructions are clear and easy to follow. I love collecting fallen leafs and now I'll have useful purpose for them. Doubt there are many dry leafs still in Seattle, but maybe next Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those leaf roses that you purloigned from Nadezda are beautiful, and I love how they are the perfect match for your wood panelling and table - your colour choices with the cotoneaster berries and the physalis are perfect Peter. Thanks for sharing and for choosing the celebratory 'loving cup' too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roses made from maple leaves are wonderful! I love the autumn colors in this arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done Peter! Have you started on your wreath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that. I actually decorated a wreath with several maple-leaf roses last week.

      Delete
  7. How clever of you (and Nadezda)! I love the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The roses are so cool. I thought they were wood at first. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked at the tutorial on making those roses, and I don't think I'll do it, but I'm sure glad you did. Another lovely arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roses from maple leaves, how clever! The loving cup is perfect for Cathy's third and the lunaria pick up its silvery glow. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maple leaf roses! Your talents know no bounds!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.