-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Camellias in November?

Camellia sasanqua varieties are a common sight in the late autumn and early winter.  A popular variety, 'Yuletide' is so named because of it's color and because it's often blooming at that time. 


Camellia sasanquah 'MonDel' followed me home from Flower World last weekend.  Flowers at this time of year are always welcome, right?


However, Camellia japonica varieties usually bloom in my garden in February, March, and April. We've had a mild autumn with record breaking rainfall and my japonicas are confused. It's a bit troubling to see buds coloring up this early as frost can burn them.


Some flowers are actually opening.  Oh well, there are a lot of other things blooming in the spring and some buds are still tightly closed so there  may be vernal blooms as well.


Are we going to skip winter this year?  (He said hopefully.)


8 comments:

  1. They look even more beautiful with the raindrops sparkling on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some gorgeous camellias, Peter! I keep seeing 'Yuletide' everywhere and wondering where I might slip one more shrub into my garden, suddenly a challenge as I don't want to develop anymore new areas. I did plant a bunch of seedling camellias, though. It will be fun to see what they look like...in 2-5 years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid this might be like that winter a few years ago, when we had warmish weather till after Thanksgiving, and then temps suddenly plunged and we got snow and ice. We ended up with lots of shocked plants with winter die-back. Your Camellias are very pretty. There's no sign of flowers on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That white one at the end is especially lovely. And as you alerted me to last week there is a change a coming...weather-wise.

    I had to pick up a few things at the pet store yesterday and was happy to see their two new (huge) containers flanking the entry, with blooming 'Yuletide' looking quite cheerful. I was even happier to see the post-it note behind the checkout, with C. sasanqua 'Yuletide' written on it. How lovely they're committed to giving people the name when they ask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited the UW arboretum last weekend and saw a few Camellias in bloom. I figured they were the early blooming varieties. The white bloom in the last picture is kind of perfect.
    What's shocking to me is, that there's room in your garden for another Camellia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camellias are lovely whenever they bloom. I hope yours don't lose out to frost. My 'Taylor's Perfection', a hybrid, is budded out too and I'm wondering if the recent rain will encourage blooms before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camellias are perfection, I've never seen one in bloom in person, but this is certainly a treat. I hope you don't have any frost damage, they are so incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I don't think any of our camellias are blooming. I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.