-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, November 28, 2016

In A Vase On Monday

When I got home on Sunday, the rain was coming down, the wind blowing, and I didn't feel much like venturing out to the garden to find something to put in a vase.  Luckily, on Thanksgiving, I put something together as part of a running joke that one of my great nieces and I have going.

For several years, I've been a vegetarian but still cook traditional fare for my family on Thanksgiving. Last year,  or the year before, my eldest sister told the grand niece that I was now following a vegan diet for health reasons.  The niece's replied that she hoped that she wasn't served leaves and sticks, tofurkey, or anything of the sort.  That year, just as the grand nice had filled her plate, I whisked it away, replacing it with a package of tofurkey and presenting her with a crystal bowl of dried leaves and sticks from the garden.  Now on every holiday, one of us brings sticks and leaves.  This Thanksgiving, it was my turn.  Since I wasn't hosting (A nephew and his wife were our hosts in Vancouver) the sticks and leaves needed a different receptacle.  Because I couldn't find the original sticks and leaves which are in a plastic bag somewhere, I found more.


On the way out the door, some dried rose hips and a few broken and brown-leaved branches of arctostaphylos jumped into the box.

It's definitely not the most elaborate Monday arrangement I've made but certainly one of the most fun!

In A Vase On Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Be sure to go to her blog to see what others have brought inside today.

14 comments:

  1. What a fun joke for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family jokes of this kind are great fun, hope you had a good Thanks Giving Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your family joke, Peter - we all have them, even if some are unshareable! Did you have Tofurkey yourself for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never had that much fun at Thanksgiving gatherings! Glad you didn't chick'n out about posting this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely the most hilarious Thanksgiving version of In a Vase On Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I hope your grand-niece appreciated your creative continuation of tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for giving me my mid-morning chuckle, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Nothing is more fun than family jokes and it's rare they have a garden component.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Peter. Good for you for making light of differences!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bringing humor to even the driest of circumstances is your speciality. Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun tradition you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, that is awesome. I can see that being a hit with my family, too. Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother-in-law is always on us about diet and what is and is not good for you. Carl always joked that she lived on rations of twigs and berries, which, come to think of it, sounds like a nice compliment to your leaves and sticks. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.