-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, September 4, 2015

The Garden of Pam and Karl Hillsenberg

Our last stop on the Federal Way Symphony Garden Tour was the Hillsenberg garden.  The Rhododendron Species Garden and the Pacific Bonsai Museum were also on the tour but having seen them before, we decided to skip them.

"Our garden is diverse and ever changing."

This grouping brought a smile!

There's some serious sense of play in this garden.  

There's always an Agave!  (parryi var. truncata?  Guessing.)

"It is structured by luck and what plants are willing to stay dspite the wetness of the lake, slugs, and an occasional hard freeze in late spring."



Beds full of cheerful blooms were everywhere in this garden. 


Someone seems to be sitting down on the job but look at the fire he built.



The back of the house. 

Fun stepping stones.
 View from the back of the house.  We all need a water feature like this in our back yards, right?

Interesting structure!  


"Each year  is a new combo of plant experiments and 'what's that?' is a common yard tour song.  The garden rooms offer different views and framing of beautiful Trout Lake." 
Thank you Pam and Karl for opening your garden!

I hope you all  have a tranquil weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Fun indeed!

    The lounging figure next to the fire seems to also be on fire...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self: get a few hollyhocks next year; I just love these old fashion plants. Love also the large orange blooms of the tagetes everywhere. Sometimes all it takes is to see it in someone else's garden first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This long hot dry summer was the prefect weather for Hollyhocks to do well here. Normally they don't like our climate and get diseased. After doing this garden tour with you I'm more convinced than ever that I need more flowers, probably in the form of annuals, in my garden in the future. I enjoyed it so much! The gardens were all so interesting and varied and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like they have a lot of fun with their garden. It's certainly fun to look at, and one cannot argue with the beauty of their little water feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those fish stepping stones! It looks like a really fun garden that certainly doesn't try and take itself too seriously

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the wooden structure and the scarecrow/fire feature but I love that water feature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sent your articles links to all my contacts and they all adore it including me.The Tree Center

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want those stepping stones! What a fun garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That wooden structure was Fascinating,
    the general tone of the garden Fun,
    and the stepping stones Fishy!
    A tranquil weekend to YOU, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! What great whimsical touches! I love the 'person' lounging next to the 'fire', and what a cute structure/fort thing. I also love the quote about how their garden is full of any plants willing to stay despite the difficulties. That's how I feel about my garden a lot of times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a very interesting garden, Peter. I liked the round place with 'fire' and a figure sitting near it, what a nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This garden has me feeling nostalgic for summer already.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.