-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Another House and Garden in Joyce's Neighborhood

On the same walk during which we discovered Joyce's garden, we came across this cool home that reminded us a bit of the Munster's house.

I don't recall the Munster garden being so colorful though.  Of course, it was a black and white show...


A tall shrubbery prevents a public view of the garden inside. 


Not being brave enough to knock on the door and ask to see the inside garden, I just snapped a few shots from the sidewalk.

 O.K. I may have gone up a couple of steps to get these shots of some of the beds overflowing with Dahlias (roses beyond.)

Out in the side parking strip, a good sized apple tree was heavy with this attractive fruit. 

The side of the house is equally interesting.  Because of the big porch on this side,we wondered if this was originally the front of the house, the original house being exclusively this part.  Often houses were built and in subsequent years, additional parts would be added.  Although, it's a bit unusual to have a chimney on the front of a house and side porches were also common.  If you scroll back up, it's entirely possible that the current front entrance, turret, and the rest of the house were a later addition. Maybe not.

Love the sempervivum on th sides of the concrete steps.  I'm trying to get mine to do this but the soil there is very poor, in blazing sun, and gets very little water.  Maybe I'll try small agaves instead.
Must stalk walk by this garden again to maybe be invited to  see more!

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a very colorful garden! The Semps all crowded together are fabulous. It does remind me of the Munsters house too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting house. In the old, established neighborhoods of Portland there is the occasional house with the main entry oriented to the side. I think you need a calling card to leave at places like this. Most gardeners are eager to share with a fellow plant nut. If not, what's to lose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one looming house but I do like the colorful dahlias. I wonder what color the Munsters' house was? I checked on-line (this is what happens when I'm stuck inside because it's too hot and humid to be outside) and, while there's an entire Wikipedia article on the house (!), including a description of the addition of "darker paint" during a studio remodel, I didn't see a reference to its color, although the article shows a photo of a pale gray structure with white trim that surely couldn't be the original Munster house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dream house will have a turret of some kind, but taller than this one. Have you ever met a gardener that doesn't like to show off his/her garden? Next time knock! :)

    BTW, not sure if lining a stairway with small agaves would be a good idea unless you are unfailingly sure-footed (and your guests all are too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a rather unusual house, seeming to blend several styles. It would be interesting to find out about its history. And get to see the garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this house!! And those dahlias! I would have been banging on the door and dragging you along with me. Go back and take more pix!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With such a lovely garden and charming house I imagine the dwellers are friendly and would not have minded you knocking on their door!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an amazing house with lovely plants to set it off, so many beautiful dahlias!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had to bet I'd say you will eventually get to see the inside of this garden.
    With a bit of soil amendment your sempervivum will be encouraged to do better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.