-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, September 7, 2015

In A Vase On Monday - Summer Souvenirs; A Seedy Post

As our recent windstorm seems to have blown summer away in a single day, (really! Daytime highs went from being in the sunny upper seventies and eighties to being in the wet sixties.)  it was time to bring the dried seed heads of Allium schubertii in from the garden before they started decomposing in the rain but where to put them?   As per usual in the outlaw household, they just got thrown into some random places.


Here they kind of dominate the dried hydrangeas.  Some of the allium were quite large this year!

Here they mingle with other allium seed heads, papyrus, and some Lunaria annua (Moon Plant, Silver Dollar Plant, etc.)

In trimming back some branches of the Paulownia tomentosa so heavy with seed that they were touching cars that parked in the street, I couldn't bear to simply throw these interesting seed pods away.  Since they were taking up space lying on the patio table, they got brought in and thrown into a vase  until I figure out what to do with them.
In A Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling In The Garden.  Be sure to click here to see her Monday offering and find links to the blogs of other participants.

18 comments:

  1. I planted three Allium schubertii in the front garden, but had no flowers from them this year. I remember seeing foliage early on, but then nothing. If you leave the Paulownia seedpods on the tree, do they produce weed seedlings? I'm still enjoying my dried flower arrangement from last Monday. Putting another vase of flowers together is more work than I can cope with right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got those Allium from Todd's when we were there together, left them outside in their plastic bags and forgot them. When I found them, they had grown black mold and looked like they'd never make it but they got planted anyway and were the largest that I've ever had. I've only had one weed seedling that's now a couple of years old and needs to come out. Do you want it?

      Delete
  2. Oh those Paulownia tomentosa seed pods are fab! Kinda makes me sad I'll never see mine bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your dried arrangement. Lovely vases too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks to me like you already figured out what to do with them...hard to improve on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although our Paulownia is seed grown and big now I've yet to see it produce seeds. Those seed pods looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while for mine to start making seeds and maybe because I have two of them it helps?

      Delete
  6. You've made great use of what the windstorm left behind, Peter. I wish I could find an Allium that would flower here and leave such wonderful seedheads behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend so much time being envious of all the fabulous succulents and other plants that are hardy for you in the ground that I forget there are things you can't grow that we can.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love it! I enjoy using seedpods and dried foliage for autumn arrangements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dried things work well for me as I'm horrible at keeping cut flowers watered.

      Delete
  8. Your fabulous glass vases, dishes, baskets, and windows are perfect settings for your dried Schubertii blooms, especially in the third shot with all the fountain spray-like seed heads and the gold glass. In the last shot with the cool Paulownia pods, I see a strange glass creature with orange eyes peering over the glass plate with the deep blue water.o=o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hanna. None of that was planned, the stuff was just there already. You're very imaginative (strange glass creature.) That's one of the windows original to the house.

      Delete
  9. Oh your seedheads and grasses are grasses are gorgeous Peter - and what are your crystal spheres in the first photo? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.