-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Rain, Glorious Rain!

On the heels of our big wind storm came rain, a few days of it.   We'd been lucky enough to have a couple rainstorms in August.  Add to that this latest rain and the soil is delightfully moist  for at least a couple of feet down.  (I was digging holes to get some of the plants  in the pot ghetto planted.)

Looking out from the back porch, the leaves were glistening with moisture. 

I felt compelled to wander around the garden to see the rain's artistry.  

Clerodendrum trichotomum continues to be a humming bird magnet (there are still some blooms.) Their diligent work has paid off in a bumper crop of berries.

Abutilon 'Red Tiger' 

Cotinus coggygria (Smoke Tree)

A tuberous begonia.

Papyrus

Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis)

The mirrors look quite different in the rain.
Summer rain is rare here so we love it!  Any unusual weather in your neck of the woods?

13 comments:

  1. In answer to your question Peter, yes, too much rain! But as for you it has had a magical effect on the garden and everything is very lush, much more so than a 'normal' August. Fabulous pics, I love the Clerodendrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots of your rain-soaked garden. I was very happy to see it too. I'm so sick of dragging hoses. I've been very frustrated with my garden this year. I'm glad next year I'll get a do-over. I'm hoping the weather next spring and summer will be kinder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wunnerful, Wunnerful! I'm so happy for you! Those raindrops are a most beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great rain-shots Mr. Outlaw. It's kind of amazing how much more rain ya'll have gotten just a little bit to the north!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love it when a garden glistens! I bet I could shower under all the moisture collected on those banana leaves in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photo of the tuberous begonia reminded me--what is the result of the begonia experiment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fred Meyer ones did as well as the fancy English ones. It's part my fault as I didn't feed them much and left them in the greenhouse too long. They don't really love warm nights. The tubers will be saved over winter and we'll see how they do next year. I'll also get a couple of the American Hybrid tubers from Wells Medina as those have really performed well for me.

      Delete
  7. Now that is a good thing! Rain is especially magical after going without it for a while. Beautiful images. The Abutilon looks like an artificial bloom it's so perfect. Thanks for sharing the joy of your rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We turned off the sprinkler system a week ago, just before the big storm. Today I turned on the furnace. The house was holding at 65, too cold for me during my lunch hour.
    That definitely marks a transition weather wise. I do hope to have more outdoor lunches before we lose summer completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a bit of warmth would be nice before we slide into those chilly nights to come.

      Delete
  9. Don't you love the rain? My hubby calls it "free water" for obvious reasons. :) Your plants look so happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.