-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Some New Plants and Other Random Stuff in the Greenhouse.

Ain't the interweb grand?  I fell in lust with Tephrocactus geometricus  when Hoover Boo posted a picture of it on her blog.  Of course I couldn't find it locally but a quick web search turned up a source. This baby doesn't look very impressive now but if it turns out anything like the one that Hoov saw, it'll be amazing!


The same grower had Tephrocactus articulatus which I'd admired in J.J's Garden a couple of years ago.


Agave parryii var. truncata varigata

These two tropical pitcher plants came home with me in late winter last year and survived the cool temperatures in the greenhouse.  They've not skipped a beat in cranking out more and more pitchers.


The tentacled pot family grew a bit.  As you can see, Tillandsia xerographica is about to bloom. Unfortunately, there aren't any pups so this may be curtains for this plant.  If so, maybe it'll get spray painted black and continue to reside in the pot.

The pregnant onion is living up to it's name and continues to have babies.
 The hairy leafed begonia from Windcliff has grown a lot but th leaves sort of flop all over the place.  It's been blooming for a while now too.

From the Dragonfly closing sale came Tradescantia spathacae 'Sitara Gold'

This came home this wintr and has grown a lot but I'm over it.  It'll be up for grabs at the fall plant exchange if Alison will take some plants down for me.

Isn't it the truth!

Outside, these Primula vulgaris never made it out of their pots this spring but have decided to bloom again.  Soon it will be January, and these will be showing up in every supermarket and nursery letting us know that spring is just around the corner.

11 comments:

  1. Every time I see those tentacled pots makes me wish I brought back one or two with us from Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to bring some plants down to the exchange for you! Let me know when they're ready and I'll come get them. I'm kind of disappointed in that orange centered plant too. The colorful center on mine has faded considerably. My pregnant onion and hairy, dead-looking Windcliff begonia are both still alive, but way less fab than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might consider naming your Tillandsia xerographica 'Mark Twain' -- the poor thing hasn't even bloomed yet and you've condemned it to death. Pups may wait until bloom is over according to Garcia and Chocano.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy Birthday to you!! Hope your day is really special, you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you won't be making it down this way for the swap. And of course I adore your new internet purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, your greenhouse is an exciting place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you can't make it to the swap. We never did get together for any plant adventures this summer. Nepenthes! That's what my new greenhouse needs! As Jean said, many bromeliads wait until after blooming to produce pups. Give poor Mark a chance before you threaten to paint him! I'm amazed those primroses look so good having spent all summer in those containers. You must have taken good care of them. The rains and cooler temps have revitalized mine and a couple have already sent out some blooms. They work fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hairy leaves, the invasion of the octopi and menacing pitchers...gearing up for Halloween already?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those pitcher plants! I was considering adding some to my river bed but don't think they're hardy here. Plus my dogs would run them over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun stuff you have in that greenhouse!
    Our mama pregnant onion got so big it was exploding so we started over with three babies which are now about grapefruit sized and sending up bloom stalks. They are so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish those Primula were as ubiquitous here, or would look as good at the end of the summer. Here they are usually expensive in the spring and get scorched by heat and drought over the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.