-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, September 18, 2015

Aristolochia gigantea (I think) is my Favorite Plant...This Week

At Watson's the other day, a large deep purple flower caught my eye from across the nursery.


The hand written tag just said Aristolochia - Dutchman's Pipe.  

Is this but interesting or what?

 Wikipedia says, "Aristolochia is a large plant genus with over 500 species that is the namesake (type genus) of the family (Aristolochiaceae). Its members are commonly known as birthwort, pipevine or Dutchman's pipe and are widespread and occur in the most diverse climates."


An image search yielded a lot of interesting-looking plants sharing this name.  Take a look here if you're interested.

Hardy only to zone 10, this one isn't destined for my garden.  

The $68.00 price tag for the large specimens means that one's not going to be in my greenhouse either.

However, I found quite a few much more economical sources online.  

Seed us quite inexpensive so if I remember, I'll give it a try next summer. 

Have you grown this plant?  What was your experience?

The favorite plant meme is hosted by Loree at Danger Garden where, on the last Friday of each month you can see a round up of  faves. 

19 comments:

  1. Stunning, isn't it? The Pipevine in my garden has tiny flowers not worth noticing except to Swallowtails of the same name. Wonder if this one grows quickly and easily from seeds as does the native one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting flower. I've been intrigued by this genus forever, but have never tried it. That's a pretty hefty price for something you might kill. I hope you give it a try from seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a cool plant and grows well in Texas, but I love my butterflies too much to plant it. Unfortunately it is toxic to swallowtail larvae so I will have to admire it elsewhere. I have seen it covering whole fences and the blooms are spectacular this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't grow it either as swallowtails are the showiest butterflies in my garden.

      Delete
  4. We have one. We have had it over 15 years. We got it as a 2" start. We have only gotten it to flower once. We may not be giving it enough fertilizer. We have found it needs heat and shade. We overwinter it in garage - cut back to 3-4 ft - like we do our brugmansias. We can't keep it in our hoop house in the summer - too hot. It is stunning when it does bloom.

    We also grow several others in the genus. The easiest are Aristolochia macrophylla which gets huge and Aristolochia californica which blooms a lot. They are both totally hardy and easy to grow. We got them as starts. We have Aristolochia fimbriata which was grown from seed. It has to be over wintered like gigantia. Aristolochia sempervirens can also grow outside with good drainage and sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Marta! It's a cool plant but not as cool as brugmansias so I'm not willing to coddle it too much, especially if it doesn't bloom often. One of the hardier members of the genus will find its way into my garden though.

      Delete
  5. As far as I know only one of the Dutchman Pipes(A gigantea) is toxic to one of the swallowtails. The other plants are real wildlife favourites and seem to be safe. Please see Mr. Smarty Plants for more info http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=3948

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! If it's poisonous to swallowtails, I won't grow it as their presence is such a delight in my garden!

      Delete
  6. I was thrilled at the idea you'd bought this plant...but WOW! That's a hefty price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A passion for plants can break the bank if we let it. You'll find a way...of that I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did I understand correctly that Pipevine Swallowtails do not visit your area and the plant in question is not hardy there? Wonder if it would grow to the rafters in your greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's as rampant a grower as others have said, it might block too much sunlight in the greenhouse.

      Delete
  9. Those blooms are amazing, but even if you wait for the 1/2 off sale at the end of the season that thing will still be expensive. I'd go for the seed option too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This plant rings a bell in my memory. I remember Martha Stewart showing a video of the Carriage roads in Acadia National Park in Maine. The lamp posts were draped in Dutchman's Pipe vines, with enormous leaves. Funny how i remembered that. Obviously they were a more hardy species than the one at Watson's. Cool plant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a native Dutchman's Pipe vine growing up my front porch pillars but it looked like a giant green meatball because I wasn't able to secure it to the front of the house so it grew in a big blob. I ended up giving it away. It hadn't bloomed yet. I do like how weird those flowers are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting flowers will be admired from afar.

      Delete
  12. An odd and fascinating looking flower. For the right garden its a conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.