-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Bainbridge Island Garden of Tom and Ginny Brewer


"The garden sits on 1 3/4 acres in a woodland setting.  Fir trees surround the periphery and enclose a garden of deciduous trees, shrubs, perennial borders, interlocking pools, a white woodland garden, and an enclosed kitchen garden.  This  mature garden has all-season interest."

Notice the Magnolia macrophylla on the left.  This is actually just a part of the tree which seems small compared to the huge Doug firs but is actually quite a large and beautiful specimen.

Standing under the canopy of the magnolia was quite a treat!

Looking over at the two huge circular ponds.

The Brewers use empty pots as focal points throughout the garden.  I've tried this but usually end up sticking a plant in the pots.

Two pools, two Trachycarpus fortunei.  The red pot fountain in the middle of one adds a bit of asymmetry.  The enclosure for the kitchen garden can be seen on the right.

Little and Lewis pieces are a highlight. 

I especially liked these!

Inside the kitchen garden.  Please forgive the photos, it was a bright afternoon and the light was awful for taking pictures.


Swell greenhouse.  Notice the leaded glass panel atop the door. 
             
Inside the greenhouse. 

There's nothing quite like Little and Lewis columns, this one supporting an interesting pot.  

These creating an arbor.

The path through the arbor leads to a lower woodland garden with a sweet area for relaxing in the woods.

Coming back up the path, a view of the enclosed kitchen garden. 



Beautiful peaceful borders on this side of the house.

 Totally out of order - here we are back down in the woodland.  A brick path invites exploration.

One last look at the big pools. 

I had the joy of running into blogging friend, Tatyana (My Secret Garden) here.  Such a pleasure to see her!  Her happy countenance and energy are infectious!  As the days are getting shorter, the temperatures colder, it's nice to look back on a warm summer day. 

25 comments:

  1. What a relaxed & pleasant place to tour. I like the empty pots and being introduced to Little and Lewis (I don't get out much)!. The greenhouse is sweet, and I could be happy sipping SOMEthing while sitting in the lower woodland garden. I really like this time of year. Things aren't "perfect" - just mellow. (Kind of like me - smile.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice time of year and garden chores don't have to be done quickly now. Should I cut things back or wait a few months for winter to do that? Bulbs can be planted now or wait until November. Doesn't matter...ah the relaxed life.

      Delete
  2. Huge trees in the background almost mean you can't go wrong, but this seems like an exceptionally nice space. So big too! Wish there was a closer photo of the pools, as they look like a great feature. Great greenhouse too, although any greenhouse looks great to somebody without one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pools were interesting but kept reminding me of the large circular pools at sewage treatment places. The spacious garden was lovely and had lots of interesting areas to explore.

      Delete
  3. Those Little and Lewis pieces would be enough the add in the setting and great garden and it's a wonderful space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the Little and Lewis pieces are a nice feature (there's nothing else quite like the colors they use, is there?) But I loved the greenhouse best. I sometimes wonder if I should have opted for a wooden one. Thanks for sharing your pictures of this sweet garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greenhouse is wonderful but yours has the benefit of clear walls that go all the way to the floor and give additional space for plants beneath the benches. You could always do a wooden addition to your greenhouse...

      Delete
  5. I want two big circular pools!!! Although I don't know if I could actually handle two, I'd probably have to opt for three. Lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One, three, five...even numbers are difficult to pull off outside of a highly structured formal garden.

      Delete
  6. Any greenhouse also looks great to someone who does have one. My favorite thing to see is into someone else's greenhouse.

    This is a lovely garden, one of those we'd like to visit over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love looking inside other people's greenhouses. Because I've only had mine for a year, it's great to get ideas form others!

      Delete
  7. Love a greenhouse with personality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I need to figure out where I can put some stained glass in my own greenhouse where it won't block too much light.

      Delete
  9. I'd love to see this garden in person. It would be nice to explore a mature garden on scale with my own. That greenhouse is fantastic. Oh to have the time and energy to build one like that, or the money to have it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could do it Evan! You could make your dad and brother help. Just think, two greenhouses - one could be dedicated to tropicals and the other to things that just need a bit of wither protection in our climate.

      Delete
  10. Garden visiting is a lovely occupation, especially when you visit a garden as nice as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful garden and I enjoyed the tour. I wouldn't mind having the greenhouse or the Little and Lewis creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little and Lewis make great things with amazing colors!

      Delete
  12. Hi Peter! I asked someone the name of the beautiful tree in Brewer's garden, and he said - "Ask THAT guy, he knows!" I turned, looked at THAT guy, and it was YOU!
    Visiting several interesting gardens plus seeing you - what a great day it was!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wonder who is the original creator of this garden .?………
    What was his name ?
    Where did he come from ?
    Surely , a few people know that on the Island .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.