-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Wednesday Vignette - What to Keep?

Last Wednesday, I posted pictures of the beginning of the demolition of an historic building not far from my house.  Alan commented, "Buildings don't last forever..."  It's true of course but it's still difficult to watch any usable and historic building being torn down. (Like loosing an old friend.)  I've been going back every day to see and photograph the progress.  With this building  reduced to a pile of rubble, the view of the back of a marvelous and iconic Tacoma building is now unobstructed.   As I walked around snapping pictures the other day, this view through the claw of one of the pieces of equipment used in the destruction along with Alan's words haunted me. What building will be next to be torn down?


What do wee keep and what do we discard?  If no one uses grandma's china anymore, do we keep it simply because it's beautiful?  Are things like buildings worth saving simply for historic/aesthetic value or do they become some sort of anchor keeping the ship of progress from sailing?  There's a building boom in Tacoma and huge multi-family residential buildings have been springing up all over the place for the last twenty years but the pace of urban infill seems to be ramping up even faster in the current regional economy.   What is the destiny of The City of Destiny? (Tacoma is locally known as the "City of Destiny" because the area was chosen to be the western terminus of the Northern Pacific Railroad in the late 19th century.) 

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."  John Donne

Happy Dia de los Muertos and All Saints' Day.

Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Do drop by her blog to join the fun. 

17 comments:

  1. The more usable historic buildings that get torn down, the more every city looks like every other place. Like you, we are having a massive boom. Living in a house from the 1950s I am aware that my house and property have their own history. In the US, a house that is 60+ years old is a historic house in my book. Alas, the nice view that is revealed in your photo will be hidden again soon I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the even more lovely view of the church from the front is safe as it's on the street. Added bonus - If we climb out on our roof, we can see the steeple from our house.

      Delete
  2. Linda's first sentence rings absolutely true to me. I worry that the character of cities disappear as the polish and gentrification increases. I realize one needs to make room for new inhabitants, but I also resent how entire blocks are razed to make room for some cheaply built behemoth. Every little bit of land here is subject to development, and in the progress what used to be a rather green city, is getting increasingly less so, as our tree canopy is coming down, one tree after the other. My post this week is, sadly, on the same theme, as one of my favorite local businesses now faces an unknown future. Are there saints designated for cities? If so, maybe we should pay homage to cities past on this Day of the Dead. Maybe more rebirth than death, but still... I lament the loss of soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo Peter, but yes...sadly haunting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's probably my favorite John Donne quote, but I've never thought of it in reference to razing of historic buildings. Linda and Anna make good points. I think we should be glad it isn't bombs that brought the old building down, like the Blitz did in London in WWII, which remade many parts of that city and brought down some truly historic buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, we're very fortunate that this was planned and safely done and not a hostile act of destruction.

      Delete
  5. Why is it that so much of Europe treasures old buildings but Americans, ever focused on some undefined future state, pay them so little mind? I'm not bashing Americans here but simply noting that there's a big difference in cultural outlook. Maybe we don't appreciate history to the extent that areas with longer histories do? Or do we subscribe to Henry Ford's philosophy - "history is bunk" unless it serves some political angle to argue for preservation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno. There's something special about these old buildings and so much that's happened in them, the collective energy, like the vibe in an empty theater.

      Delete
  6. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle this. When a building loses its purpose, it must either gain a new one, or it is cast away. And yet, why do I feel that this is less about purpose and progress than about making money?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's about making money. In the current economic climate, financial institutions are more than willing to back the construction of monstrous apartment/condo structures, built as cheaply as possible and sold for top dollar.

      Delete
  7. John Donne's words get me every time. They go perfectly with your words. Lots of food for thought here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the answer is. This was not the most beautiful or old building but it's stark difference from the buildings all around it always caught my eye.

      Delete
  8. I don't embrace change easily. I don't like all the single family homes being replaced with a behemoth, multi story, hundred of units and minimal underground parking. But I hear it's either that or urbane sprawl. It looks like we are heading towards denser urbane areas to save our green spaces: there are just too many humans on this planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the humans all seem to want to congregate in the same places. Sometimes I think of moving to a less-populated area but I do enjoy all the amenities of urban life. Oh well, it is what it is.

      Delete
  9. That is a beautiful-and poignant image. I’m saddened that appreciation of old things of any stripe seems to be waning. We are a brash, young nation, and I suspect we pay the price for that in ways we may not fully understand yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.