-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Fun With Alison Part 2 - Flower World

There's always a lot happening at Flower World, a fifteen-acre nursery where they grow 90% of what they sell.  The weather was a bit brisk but fortunately, three of those acres are covered with huge greenhouses. 

I couldn't resist the kale sale.



While nearly all of the dahlias outside are pretty much past it, greenhouse magic kept these potted bloomers safe from the wind and rain.  So tempting!



Seasons collide as autumn color meets winter greens.

Potted paperwhites will be bursting into fragrant bloom before you know it. 

I've been stuffing sugar pumpkins with onions, garlic, walnuts, figs, and apple, baking for an hour and enjoying the result tremendously.

This sweet-faced pansy decided to come home with me to stuff a pot for winter. 

 A cheerful color combination. 



A few of these dried hydrangeas came home with me.  They're one of my favorite dried flowers and I tend to keep them around for years.

Alison showing off her nice Aspidistra.  

While I love nurseries that carry lots of holiday tinsel, gegaws, baubles, etc. to add to the carnival of Christmas, I greatly admire Flower World for concentrating on growing things.

Tempting but there's no room at the inn  in the greenhouse. 




An effective pairing.

Beautiful in bloom.  Perhaps there'll still be one left in January when all plants go on sale here. 

This 'Assorted Cacti' with the spiral growing habit may have jumped into my cart.  

Cordyline terminalis 'Tricolor' is so gorgeous but they never stay that way at my house so none came home with us.

Four inch pots were all BOGO and there were many temptations. 


Oh the nerve!

 My favorite place to be in the winter is in one of the well-heated tropical houses.  


Like a siren,  the vibrant color of Philodendron 'Orange Prince'caught our eyes from quite a distance.


Bougainvillea 'Raspberry Ice'  looking glorious in hanging pots.  


Pineapple anyone?

Delphiniums used to grow like weeds for me in my Alaska garden but don't seem to like my garden here.  I see fabulous specimens in the gardens of others in the area. If I ever were to cut down the giant timber bamboo, it would be to have space in the sun to grow delphiniums.

Schizostylis coccinea 'Oregon Sunset' is a favorite that also doesn't seem to last long in my crowded garden. 


As I, late as usual, set out to Alison's place, I realized that I'd forgotten my camera.  No time to go back so I used my phone . 


Here in the Acers palmatum is where the battery died so we'll end our Flower World visit here.  Here's a tip, phone chargers must be plugged in to work.  Funny thing that.

26 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place to visit! Many beautiful plants there but the delphiniums stopped me in my tracks! I love them but they obviously don't grow in my climate. did you live in Alaska? I always wished I was from Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Alaska from 1968 until 1981 and continued to spend summers there until 1993 or so. There are things I miss about small town life in such a beautiful place.

      Delete
  2. You made me spit my coffee (again) with that line about Alison showing off her "nice Asspidistra" (did Alison get a haircut or is her hair pulled back?). I wish I would have had the time to visit Flower World and Molbaks during my recent Anderson School visit. Never enough time to see it all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut my hair, finally. Just in time for cooler weather. Yeah, that line about Aspidistra made me chuckle too.

      Delete
    2. No morning is quite complete without a bit of coffee spitting. I feel the same way when I visit your neck of the woods - so many great nurseries; so little time.

      Delete
  3. Flower World is good for the soul, plain and simple. How awkward was it to walk around once the battery ran out of charge? A sense of freedom maybe :-) The Victoria bird's nest fern are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a marvelous place in any season but it's especially nice to be in the tropical area during the cold months. Nice people, low pressure, and low prices. Who could ask for anything more?

      Delete
  4. How fabulous. Just when I think my interest in waning. Groovy. And I love Alison's short hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're in this neck of the woods, you should visit! With the farm and produce stand in addition to the nursery so large that maps are available, it can be an all-day affair.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the compliment, Patricia.

      Delete
  5. Such a fun day! I wish Schizostylis would do well in my garden too, I planted some but they disappeared. I think you got better photos with your phone than I did with my camera (except for the one of my Aspidistra).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't if funny that neither of us can grow delphiniums or Schizostylis? Come to think of it, I've never seen a really big and healthy patch of the latter. I rather liked the picture of your Aspidistra.

      Delete
  6. What a dangerous place to shop! I was wondering if Alison cut her hair too so I'm glad Loree asked and Alison answered. It's cute, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Flower World always has a nice supply of the variegated variety.

      Delete
  8. The nursery is great but nothing beats that pumpkin treat you are making. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious, savory and a bit sweet. The smell of garlic fills the kitchen as it's baking. Divine.

      Delete
  9. Three acres under glass, I can scarcely imagine it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty incredible place and there are probably even more greenhouses in the propagation area that are off limits to shoppers.

      Delete
  10. I enjoy visiting Flower world, and I love all the foliage plants, but I am no longer tempted by house plants. I am always impressed by the bounty of healthy looking plants they have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great place, and your baked pumpkin scheme sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and Alison...Holy Horticulture, Outlaw!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow I love those Cordyline fruticosa "tri colour". I have three small plants grown from tissue culture and all three are as a result slightly different, only one like these "tri colours", one! The other two are nice but not as flashy. One a rather restrained thin red trim on green and the other a broader red trim with a bit more drama. Nice to have these tissue culture sports anyway.
    They need good strong sunlight light, heat and humidity to stay gorgeous. The best colours come out in the cool dry season I've found, this is when they explode in new growth colour, often looking nothing like the plant one buys.
    They don't make good house plants unless you turn your living room into a green house, misters, heating etc.
    Lovely shop thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.