-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Foliage Follow-Up November 2017

Every month, on the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, Pam Penick of Digging hosts Foliage Follow-Up to celebrate the important role foliage plays in our gardens every day of the year.  To see her post and find links to other participating foliage fans, click here

I'd decided to live without ornamental kale and cabbage this fall and winter but then they looked so beautiful and something needed to fill the pots by the back steps left vacant when the tender plants went into the greenhouse. 

How can one not be happy with plants that will look this beautiful all winter long?  (I ended up with seven when I found them on sale.)



Cotinus 'Grace' 

Acer palmatum 'Emerald Lace' 

 Acer palmatum 'Trompenburg's burgundy foliage looked very nice weaving around the oh-so-white leaves of Fatsia japonica 'Spider Web.'  As the foliage of the former is turning bright red the combination is even more delightful.



More white variegation. Azara microphylla and Disporum 'Moonlight.' 

 Accidental combination of Black Mondo Grass and Dusty Miller (Jacobaea maritima) that I rather like this time of year.

Agave ovatifolia

Yucca 'Bright Star' 

13 comments:

  1. Trying not to be jealous of all those Japanese maples! I should see if I can still find a cabbage as they are so lovely at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I know which pictures danger will like best!
    The red acer is providing you with all kinds of fabulous vignettes today, one leaf even snuck in with the cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What!? I thought I couldn't love your garden anymore than I already did. Everyone of these photos is gorgeous. You're good Mr. Herpst. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful foliage colors! Even I've been tempted to pick up some ornamental kale this year despite their woefully short lives here but then I heard that another Santa Ana wind "event" is expected this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWEE! So much wonderful color. I especially love the kale and cabbage.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those ornamental cabbages ARE gorgeous! I have some, too. Ours last into early winter, but then we get a little too cold for them to last all winter. Still, they're remarkably hardy! Your other foliage combinations are beautiful, too, especially the Fatsia/Acer combo. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All gorgeous - I'm in love with Acer p. 'Emerald Lace'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be still, my heart! So much great foliage in your post, Peter. Between the yellow yucca, silver agave, and brightly colored Acer and Cotinus leaves, I'm really digging your fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The information you've provided in this blog is relevant and up to the mark, really such useful information on List of facility management service provider in Delhi, websites India, liked the most. Well, there is one more classified website which will give you advance detail for this sort of topicswww.helpadya.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gardens are looking gorgeous and I am in awe over the fall colors on your collection of Acer. Happy autumn and Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, there are some wonderfully striking foliage combos here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful all around, and I'm totally with you on the Cabbages. Love those things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.