-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day November 2017

On the fifteenth of each month, Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.  Click on the above link to see what's blooming all over the world this month.

Here in my zone 8 Pacific Northwest Garden, I can usually find something in bloom year round but blooms are becoming fewer at this time of year. There are some summer stragglers that keep going like these.

Tropaeolum speciosum

Hardy Fuchsias


Abutilons

Persicaria 'Golden Arrow'

 Eccremocarpus scaber

A few roses.


Salvia 'Hot Lips' has been blooming up a storm all summer but this is the first time it's been included in one of my GBBD posts.

Salvia 'Amistad' 

There are some that start blooming in fall like these: 
Miscanthus

Abelia 'Kaleidoscope'

Okay, these are seed capsules of Euonymus europaeus 'Red Ace'  but they're much more showy than the flowers of this plant.

It's always a race to see if Tropaeolum tuberosum will get to open it's blooms before frost.  Most years it makes it.

Mahonia 'Soft Caress'

Schefflera delavayi blooms looked fabulous just a couple of weeks ago.

Arbutus unedo has just started opening scads of blooms.  Usually there's also cool red fruit hanging around with the flowers.

It's hard to resist putting a few pansies in pots by the back door as they bloom all winter.  The plants may lay flat on the ground and look dead during a freezing spell but they bounce right back up as soon as it thaws.




This will probably be the last month for hardy cyclamen flowers.  Fortunately, that fabulous foliage will hang around all winter.

Meanwhile, out in the greenhouse...

Abutilons that were blooming outside haven't slowed down at all since being moved in. 

Some succulent.

An aloe

Pinguicula 'pirouette'

This poor brugmansia has had a very difficult summer, loosing all of it's leaves at least three times due to spider mites and whitefly.  I think we've got things under control now and  there are a few leaves and even more blooms.

How did it get to be the middle of November already?  

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful blooms!
    Love those Pansies! I am depending on Pansies to give me blooms for next month's GBBD. I have them on my front porch, hoping the deer will not come that close to the house to eat them!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try some Pansies in a pot by the door for the winter. They are very cheerful little flowers. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pansies and Violas don't ever get credit for looking so bright and cheerful, pretty much always. I'm glad you couldn't resist adding them to your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rafters blooming Brugmansia is amazing...and I think I lust after that Tropaeolum tuberosum every time you show it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would happily grow up a trachycarpus trunk and I'd be happy to save you a tuber.

      Delete
  5. Tropaeolum tuberosum is gorgeous. Does it survive outside?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I've been meaning to start some hardy cyclamen plants outside, but never seem to get around to it. Meanwhile, the florists' hybrid that I bring inside is blooming in profusion. They are stunning plants--whether blooming or for the foliage alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm asking myself that same question! It's scary how fast this year is flying by. I'm surprised to see fuchsias still in bloom there, although here I'd be surprised to see them in bloom at all. Seeing your Brugmansia made me feel guilty I didn't do more to support mine. It got leggy and I needed its pot so, after taking 2 cuttings, mine went into the compost heap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely blooms, some to me I've never seen before.

    Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. One would hardly know winter is nearly upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really intrigued with both your Tropaeolums... Are they difficult to find, or do you grow them from seed? Oh, and I LOVE your Euonymus. I was drooling over a similar variety at Joy Creek a few weeks ago. If only I had room... such a lovely shrub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T. speciosum can be difficult to track down but Far Reaches often has it & you can sometimes find it at plant sales. It can be fussy to get started (I've unsuccessfully tried many times) and does best if it can stay a bit on the dry side in the winter and seems to appreciate being planted beneath other plants with thirsty roots. T. tuberosum is easy and I can save you a tuber. Cistus usually has it too.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful blooms, Peter. I'm surprised our nurseries don't offer pansies for sale in the fall, they would last longer than mums. I guess it just hasn't caught on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many beautiful blooms! I love the color of the fuchsia in the first picture: light purple and white, exquisite! I love fuchsias but the mites are a pain in the neck, they keep coming back every year to my fuschias regarless of everything I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots still happening in your garden but those pansies really make me think spring. And nothing is nicer in Nov. than thinking about spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful fuchsias, Peter.
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hardy cyclamen but they burn up in my garden during summer. I so enjoy seeing the cheerful blooms and hardy leaves. My experience with a but Ilona is that they don't bloom until I bring them in for winter. I could never figure that out so I don't grow them any more. Nice that theY bloom for you longer. Happy GGBD.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Pinguicula is sweet. Never heard of that before. Lots of blooms at your place for so late in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's commonly called Butterwort, is a bog loving plant with sticky leaves that trap and digest bugs. Handy to have in the greenhouse!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.