-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

In a Vase on Monday - Water World

 Last weekend, Alison and I went nursery hopping and I brought home more dried hydrangeas. Alison said that they'd make an easy vase some Monday and since venturing outside on a cold and wet Sunday afternoon wasn't particularly appealing, I decided to cheat a bit and use what was already inside.  This vase from Paris was purchased years ago at a shop in Alaska and seemed just right for the hydrangeas. (The name hydrangea comes from the Greek "hydor," meaning water, and "angos," meaning jar or vessel.)  Notice the stingray pattern


There were some dried miscanthus and lunaria annua seed heads hanging around so they got thrown in as well.

Joining the arrangement is this undersea looking vase from West Seattle Nursery. 

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by the dedicated and creative Cathy at Rambling in the Garden who has created a "Rhapsody in Green" this week while I'm still singing the blues.   Click here to join in the fun!

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful combo, Peter. The blue hydrangea matches the lovely vase perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have picked a better choice of plants for that vase! I love how the shine of the lunaria matches the shine of the vase.

    Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Monday came early in Tacoma (it’s still Sunday here) - love that vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I made a mistake when I scheduled my post and it must have posted at 12.01am as I don't normally get these early US posts! As always you have linked your elements brilliantly, Peter, as the hydrangeas and two vases resonate with each other perfectly. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. The news was all about changing our clocks a while back. Maybe I misunderstood:)

      Delete
  4. What a perfect pairing of plants and containers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Peter both vases are gorgeous....love the blue of the smaller vase and the opal color of the taller one. And I wish I had blue dried hydrangeas...mine are always pink. The whole arrangement is really quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both vases are jewels, the one from Paris reminds me of Lalique, the other of an underwater sea creature. Love the blue hydrangeas too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vase, the flowers and the Lunaria seedpods couldn't be more perfect together and the under-the-sea vase puts the whole thing over the top. Have you ever counted the number of vases you've accumulated?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Hydrangeas go so beautifully with the vase. It's becoming an interesting exercise as I look around to see what kind of vases appeal to me. I need to look more closely at some of the detailing. I might have passed up that vase if I'd seen it in a shop, but pointing out the stingray design made me absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something old something new, something bor... oh, never mind. There is an aristocratic air to your vase this Monday. Beautiful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful vases, I've never seen anything like either. The smaller one really does look like a sea creature (I've been watching Blue Planet II, I'm not sure if you have that). The lunaria are shining like the vase.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful combination. I absolutely love your vases. Here’s my vase this week https://bramblegarden.com/2017/11/20/in-a-vase-on-monday-in-the-pink/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors in that are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the vase and the arrangement! I have been busy making my outdoor urns up for the winter with my hydrangeas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hydrangeas are a perfect match for that lovely vase.I love the sea urchin-looking one too. It all looks very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely hydrangeas for an autumn arrangement and I love those colours - they make me think of a summer's day at the seaside. ;-) Your vases are both unusual - especially the deep blue pottery one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, a definite underwater feel to your creation today; I love how you've managed to include other stems with the hydrangeas - not easy to achieve well, and you have. Lucky you having rain!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's a lovely combination - and the blue colour is still really strong in those hydrangeas. It's reminded me I need to cut my pink ones and dry them off for the vase next week. Have a lovely week, love Bec :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.