-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, November 6, 2017

In A Vase On Monday Something Old, Something New

Because the wet snow was blowing on Sunday afternoon, I didn't much feel like braving the elements to find contents for a vase.  Fortunately, I'd gathered a few leaves earlier to make some of Nadezda's maple leaf roses to add to this bunch of dried flowers that live in a closet for eleven months a year.  The Pampas grass plume in the back was an anonymous gift left on the lawn a few days ago by someone.  The Iris foetidissima seed pods and allium seed heads are new as well.   Twenty years ago on October 31 we moved to this house.   Our former house hadn't yet sold and money would be tight for a while so what did I do?  Bought this vase. Every year, I pull it out to remember that time. Someday, I'll pull everything out and start again but for now, just jamming more stuff into the crowded vessel makes me happy.  


Many thanks to Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for hosting In a Vase on Monday, a delightful way to start the week.  Click here to join  the fun!



The darkest maple-leaf rose is left from last year.  The lighter ones are new. 
 The Chinese Lantern (Physalis alkekengi) pods are from last year and aren't as vibrant as they once were.

 Joining the vase are a pumpkin, some squash, and a couple of dragon fruit.  I've never tried dragon fruit and these looked very beautiful at the store. 

It's been interesting watching both snow and leaves falling at the same time.   Keep warm all!

22 comments:

  1. Ha! So I am not the only one with a dried arrangement that gets pulled out and refreshed.
    I really need to try those Iris as the seed pods are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do people often leave anonymous gifts on your lawn Peter? The mind boggles :) I love your vase with the leaf roses and grasses and autumn foliage, so resonant of the season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of where we live, we find all sorts of delightful and not so nice gifts. Just the other day, a stack of beautiful garden magazines was left on the porch.

      Delete
  3. It's a lovely idea to bring out the same vase and arrangement to celebrate 20 years in your home; how time flies. Happy Anniversary.
    I saw dragon fruit in the store too. It is so bright. I wonder what it tastes like and how people prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman who was buying on in the store said that she simply slices it in half and eats it with a spoon.

      Delete
  4. So did you actually taste the dragon fruit? It is quite fabulous looking. I've been tempted.

    That vase! What a smart splurge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tasted the dragon fruit yet. I saw a woman putting one in her cart and asked her if she'd ever eaten one. She said that they have a mild flavor sort of between a kiwi and a pear. It was the beauty of the fruit that made me buy it and I'm still enjoying looking at it. They come from the plant that's used as the base of the grafted mutant fluorescent cacti.

      Delete
  5. Yikes! First hail, now snow - winter is more than a little pushy in your part of the world, isn't it? I'm glad that circumstances and nerves about the future didn't prevent you from buying your wonderful house. It's hard to believe that things will work out sometimes but they usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That arrangement goes beautifully against that lovely mellow wood paneling. Congratulations on the anniversary of your move to your home, and blessings for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it would be sad to pull it all out, you would lose the collection of shapes and memories. I think I tried Dragon fruit once, it was no-where near as good as the look of it implies it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think anything in this vase would last 10 minutes in my house -- looks too much like cat toys (to the fluffy jerks I share the house with). Why aren't the miscanthus seeds flying everywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure out why the miscanthus seeds don't fly. I cut them early for use in vases and they sort of matured without dropping fluff everywhere.

      Delete
  9. I can't believe you had snow before me....those maple leaf roses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are predicting snow showers here later in the week - I'm not ready for that reality! Your vase is a tribute to autumn, complete with squash and pumpkins. I think your maple roses are wonderful! I've never had dragon fruit, but I've seen it lately so it must be in season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way you acknowledge your house anniversary by pulling out the same vase and just adding to what's there. Again your arrangement is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This refurbished vase full makes me wonder where you store such things. I bet it looks like a treasure house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house is really too large for the two of us so there's lots of space to store such things.

      Delete
  13. Peter, congratulations on your house anniversary! I bet it doesn't feel like 20 years. If my mother would have seen the leaf roses, she would have been off on another crafting adventure, what a wonderful idea! I'm going to have to try it myself. They are beautiful. I love the woodwork in your home, all too often when watching home makeovers, the renovators will paint quarter-sawn oak black or white (or chartreuse) and I want to cry. I am happy you have lots of space, what a joy that must be. Winter hasn't hit here yet, I'm amazed, but happy about that, too. Still so much work to do here. I will be spending tonight catching up on the other posts I've missed, always and ever a joy to visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great collection of autumn goodies. I love the Chinese lanterns from last year with their more subtle tone than fresh ones. And the pumpkins and dragon fruit are a nice touch. I have never had dragon fruit either. It looks intriguing. .

    ReplyDelete
  15. The arrangement and the setting make me feel all warm a cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like those maple leaf roses. Off to figure out how to craft some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a super vase and nice memories - don't throw it all out! And the maple leaf roses are such an eye-opener. Almost as beautiful as real roses!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.