-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Autumn at Willow Tree Gardens

An email arrived the other day announcing that Willow Tree Gardens and Interiors' Christmas open house was starting on Saturday.  This nursery is always a delight to visit but at this time of year the entire interior is transformed to a winter wonderland. I'll save those shots for later but  today, here is some autumn beauty from the exterior of Willow Tree.

Deutzia 'Strawberry Fields'  is spectacular in bloom and this autumn foliage color adds another season of interest.


Looks like summer has packed up and gone for another year. 

Now gardeners can finally relax for a time and dream of spring and next summer's garden. 

Or maybe you get to motor off to a warmer climate, even if only in your imagination. 





Winter pots remind me of how lucky we are to live in a climate where there's nearly always something blooming outside.

As days grow shorter, temperatures colder, Thanksgiving thoughts and preparations begin.


A little something for the squirrels. 

And, of course, the traditional Thanksgiving tree.  

Okay, back outside where berberis berries adorn increasingly leafless branches. 

Did someone forget to harvest the cabbage? 


Looking downright festive.

The truck garden has finished producing as the year grows ever older. 



15 comments:

  1. Is that incredible orange foliage in image no. 7 a Ginkgo? What ever it is, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that beautiful foliage but was distracted by something else before I could investigated further.

      Delete
  2. This is such a funky place! I really should try to get there at the height of the season. Thanksgiving tree, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something interesting going on there.

      Delete
  3. I remember your spectacular Deutzia in bloom earlier this year. If it wasn't for its eventual size, I'd get me one too. I enjoy the outdoor winter vignettes, but my favorite was the Thanksgiving tree: a modern twist on a nostalgic holiday. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cabbage is, well, so gross that it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow, Thanksgiving here gets lost between the ghoulish delights of Halloween and the shining brightness of Christmas, which just isn't right. Maybe I need a Thanksgiving tree! My husband, who could cheerfully do without a tree even at Christmas, would be delighted I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to have a place that actually has something to look at garden-wise. I am a sucker for those tiny shrublets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I got also an invitation from my favourite nursery where they announced their last opening day before winter break? It's called "The little market of the beautiful things". Should I go? But it's about a 80 minutes drive! But it has such a nice cafe! It will probably crowded!
    I hope your nursery wasn't that far away. It has indeed many nice little things. I especially like the little plants in the red pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sigrid, you should go. This nursery is only about a 15 minute drive from my house so the decision was much easier for me.

      Delete
  8. You are so blessed with so many different gardens and nurseries to visit in your area!!!!

    Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh...the moss purses with violas are too too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pansies and violas...such cheerful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know anything about this garden center, so I googled it. I see that it is right there in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.