-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wednesday Vignette

The upside of February being the coldest on record is that we still have snowdrops blooming and the crocus seem not to mind the cool temperatures.  While I love warm summer weather, there is something special about the warm-up taking it's time to arrive.  The flowers of late winter/spring are such a pleasure and it's a delight to revel in their presence for a while instead of barely noticing them as they fly by.

 For years a few inherited crocus bloomed by the front door for just a day before the neighborhood squirrels would descend upon them and destroy the flowers.  For the past couple of years, the squirrels have left the blooms alone but are usually busy digging and replanting the corms in the fall.
Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click on over there to join the fun.

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you - I too like a little slower warm-up so we can really enjoy all the bulbs that pop up for more than a few days. LOVE those purple crocuses. I don't understand why I haven't planted more of those.... Need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely crocus patch, I'm glad the pesky squirrels have left the blooms alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...digging and replanting the corms..." explains some peculiar placements of strayed crocus in my garden. It never occurred to me, LOL. Those purply beauties make me right down giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What talented squirrel gardeners you have! The crocus display is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No blooming bulbs where I live in upstate New York yet, but now I know how crocuses somehow end up in our lawn. (we have tons of squirrels.) Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your patch of crocus. What a delight they must be to see in person, for real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful display of purple crocus. I had my first purple crocus yesterday...just one. Everything is slow here. I also have snowdrops blooming still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer cold weather in February so that bulbs can take their time, not rushing through like ours did this year. Maybe squirrels are why I have a single daffodil in the lawn and a clump in the middle of a path in the woodland. Lovely crocus and nicely spaced!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crocuses opening in the sun are such a joy after a long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty! I can't wait for ours to emerge, but first a foot of snow has to melt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's probably annoying that the squirrels dig up the corms and replant them, but I kind of like the effect here. It looks like a crowd of people that are at a bottleneck and are rushing out into the lawn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.