-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, March 1, 2019

Meandering Through Molbak's

Before winter decided to arrive in a big way and we in the Pacific Northwest were all thinking we'd sail through this season without a deep freeze, we Visited Molbaks.  It's only 15 minutes from Flower World so visiting both nurseries on the same field trip just makes sense. 


Bees were even out enjoying the warm weather.  

Subtlety and good taste are for other times of the year. (Okay, never for me.)   Right now, we're longing for riotous color awaken us from winter doldrums

I love the patterns on these bromeliads & bought a couple here in years past that have survived and grown quite large.


A little California greenhouse magic.  Hydrangeas won't bloom in our gardens for months yet.


Good information.



This planter/vase reminded me of Danger's former car and one of them rode around in my cart for a while before going back onto the shelf. 


Agave kichiokan  

 Aglaonema 'Lady Valentine' always catches my eye. 

Echeveria 'Devotion'


Nepenthes

The cacti/succulent trend shows no signs of waning. Hooray!


 One of these came home with me.  


Gotta love nurseries with pianos, right?  

Good bye February.  Here's hoping that March is kind to you and your gardens!  Saturday is supposed to be sunny and above freezing so I'm hoping to stay home and get some more garden clean-up done.  Whatever you have planned, may your weekend be full of fun!

20 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for the vibrancy first thing on this cold Friday morning. Now that the snow has melted, Molbak's must be exploding with new plants. A friend at work received a nostalgic pick-up truck-planter with succulents packed in the back. It is totally adorable and must be a new trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough of this cold already. Although the sun feels good, it would be really nice to have higher temperatures. Interesting - it would be a fun trend.

      Delete
  2. Omigosh! So much nostalgia here. I drove a VW van for 22 years. At one time there were five different VWs parked in our driveway with my sons and their friends working on all of them. My aunt had a bug shipped home when she returned from Germany after WWII. DIL has a convertible rabbit. Love Lovebugs. Not any more, though, not after that scandal. Shame on them. But I want all of the planters that you show. I'll park them on the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you need those planters. For years in the 60's my uncle had a red bug and we thought it was adorable.

      Delete
  3. Today is the warmest it is going to be for a week and we are still below normal. So I really needed this shot of color. Getting tired of looking at snow. I was (am?) hoping for snowdrops by St. Pat's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the days of having snow and ice on the frozen ground for months and don't know how gardeners in areas with real winter don't go stir crazy at this time of year.

      Delete
  4. Molbak's always has such cool stuff. Interesting info in the feeding chart, I didn't realize Bromeliads needed feeding, I'll have to try giving some of mine a little bit of fert. Do you ever feed yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fed mine and have experimented with bromeliad/tillandsia food and miracle grow. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/feed-bromeliads-30183.html has some useful information.

      Delete
  5. What fun planters. I like the cactus statue too. We are expecting measurable snow this weekend. UGH... I am so ready for some of this color in our part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you're getting more snow. I liked the cactus statues but they cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.

      Delete
  6. Why, oh why don't any of these PNW garden centers want to open outlets in SoCal? The orchid feeding chart does a lot to explain why I don't get more flowers on my orchids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll just have to come up for a visit and rent a uhaul to take home your purchases.

      Delete
  7. Fun planters. An old VW camper van, Gus the Bus, is a still a functioning member of our clan.
    Today I worked in the sunshine on the front porch. pulling out the winter greenery stuck in the blue pots, and planing bright, hot colored primroses, while Charlie the borrowed cat kept me company. It was lovely.
    Sounders season starts tomorrow and on Sunday we'll celebrated Jill's birthday. A good weekend is in store, without rain or snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get outside and play in my garden on Saturday. It's always fun to see your July 4 posts showing Gus the Bus.

      Delete
  8. I also wondered if you ever feed your Bromeliads, I never had...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fed mine but usually only think of it once a year or so.

      Delete
  9. A nursery fix is just what you need when the winter goes on too long. Lots of colour there. I hope spring will arrive in your part of the world soon. In the meantime any chance of a little tour of your greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring will eventually come this way. The greenhouse is a crowded mess at the moment but I could put together a little tour for the coming week.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.