-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Tell the Truth Tuesday

On Tuesdays, Alison at Bonney Lassie encourages us to tell the truth about our gardens by showing areas of them that are not looking great at the moment.  Since my entire  garden all looks great  between 1:00 and 1:15 a.m. on August 12 when it's dark outside, it's always easy for me to find material for TtTT posts.  It gives the phrase point and shoot an additional meaning.

The oldest camellia, previously entirely upright, now has splayed trunks.  The one on the far right must have partially broken off to be hanging that low and it'll need to be cut off but why not wait until the blooms are gone?


The Camellia flames in the fire pit aren't looking particularly nice at the moment.


The topiary was severely cut back to reduce it's size and now is throwing a fuss by wearing brown splotches.  Schefflera delavayi in the foreground is also pouting for some unknown reason.

My love of Narcissus 'Tete-a tete'  caused me to buy a few bulbs in the fall.  They're easy to fit in just about anywhere but must be there were some extras that got planted in  a pot, thrown in a corner and forgotten until this flash of gold caught my eye.  One must admire the stunning way the black plastic pot doesn't really fit in the ceramic one but is stuffed there anyway.  It's so hard to get good help, isn't it...
What's offending your senses in your garden this week?

14 comments:

  1. Hehe, I've tried stuffing black plastic pots into ceramic ones they don't fit as well, and just left them. Poor Camellia! I guess the snow did a number on it. Gosh, it sure helps my fragile ego to see what's looking bad in other gardens. Isn't schadenfreude the best feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gees Luise, your Camellia looks extremely tall! With blooms or without, it could be challenging to cut down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may not be pretty, but it's a blooming mess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least the Camellia is blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, nursery pot *inside* the ceramic one! That does look better, even when it doesn't quite fit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen a Camellia that big. I hope you have a very tall ladder. I'm afraid I've plunked plastic pots into terracotta and ceramic pots that aren't quite big enough too...I always think I'll get around to finding one the right size - someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I have an expanding pole saw. (Chainsaw on a long pole) that will be able to reach up to where the breaks are.

      Delete
  7. Woah, that is a huge Camellia! As Kris says, that's the biggest one I've seen. Your "tell the truth" is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty tall camellia and, even though it's broken several times over the years that it's been here, it always grows right back.

      Delete
  8. Yikes! What caused your glass flames to break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not broken, just not standing upright at the moment. Could have been the snow but more likely a clumsy gardener.

      Delete
  9. Another pair of eyes that has never seen a Camellia that big. Wow. The truth is, that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'It's always something,' isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very thoughtless of the Camelia not to break at a more opportune moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.