-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Wednesday Vignette

Gazing out a window of the Washington State Convention Center  at a Seattle street scene with newer buildings abutting an older one.


I'm a fan of older, more ornate and individual-looking buildings but find the mixture of both quite interesting.  How long will that older building stand?  Will the plants growing in the interstices  eventually take over?   Seattle is a fast-growing city with new buildings being erected all over town 

Which buildings are preserved, which demolished?   It's the question we ask about our personal possessions as well.  What do we keep for future generations, what do we let go?   What sparks joy?  What is necessary or used?   Do things really matter at all? Yikes, so much thinking makes my head hurt so I'll just huddle amidst the hoard and look at pretty old stuff.  

Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Anna says you should go on over there to see more! 


9 comments:

  1. Hahaha - that photo! What on earth was I gesturing about..? Well, thanks for the reality check, and the musings! And, for always being part of my Wednesday mornings! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my eye, it is the juxtaposition with the old building that makes the newer one interesting. Too many of them on their own, and it is just a sea of glass and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I see a newly boarded up construction site downtown, my heart cringes. Queen's "Another one bites the dust" reverberates in my head. Your picture is very petty and the view from the convention center always stops me in my tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful photo of Anna from our blogger lunch on Thursday. She was such a delight to sit next to! I love old buildings too. Cool photo showing the contrast between the ornate cornices of the old one and the concrete and glass of the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had those very thoughts yesterday about keeping and not keeping, and wondering if anyone will want family treasures.
    On the other topic, I do love walking in the canyons of our city, old and new juxtapositioned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The plants growing in the cracks of the older building are interesting and wonderful. Stone buildings appear more hospitable to living things than buildings constructed of steel and glass. While I'm an aspiring minimalist (with respect to everything EXCEPT the garden, oh and floral arrangements), I do wish we could hold onto old building rather than knocking them down every time the property changes hands. Of course, I suppose there's a possibility that our current glass and steel skyscrapers might be deemed quaint curiosities 100+ years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me tell you what I think. I think you should do what makes you happy. The younger generation doesn't want any "thing" you might have. At least that is what I hear. So...that makes it easy. Make yourself happy.
    I love the old ornate buildings. I don't mind seeing the new beside the old. The new looks temporary, so cold and lifeless to me.
    I guess I will flutter over and see what others are posting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.