-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Random Shots from a Walk

Construction crews have finished with our new sidewalk ramps but now the paving folks are out grinding and repaving the streets in front and on the side of the house.  Thank goodness they don't work on weekends so we have a bit of a breather.  Time to take a walk up the street.  (There are countless infrastructure projects happening in our neighborhood presently.  Seems like they've been fiddling with some areas for months already.)

This accidental color combination glowed in the sun.


Across the street, this rhododendron, usually in bloom for Valentine's Day is just beginning to open. 

So peaceful looking even though during the day when the crews are working the noise and vibrations are so strong that the house shakes.

Hmmm...are these discarded?  I wonder WWLD?  (What Would Loree Do)  She'd need a bit of help as these are pretty heavy.

There were several of these much-easier-to-carry steel pipes littering parking strips up and down the street.  Seems like tidying them up would be the neighborly thing to do. 
The walk did end at the Seymour conservatory but we'll save that for another day.  Now, what do you think would look good planted in those rusty pipes? 

18 comments:

  1. Oh those heavier ones are cool too! I think the taller pipes need something cascading down over the edge. Perhaps a Grevillea x gaudichaudii?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent plant suggestion. I love that Grevillea and will look for one. Now, where will I put those pipes in my already-crowded garden?

      Delete
    2. How many did you get? They would look great on the edge of steps or flanking a pathway.

      Delete
    3. Seven. I have some concrete and terra cotta pipes that are about the same size. Perhaps a big group of them emerging from the ground at various heights would be interesting.

      Delete
  2. If I were that Rhododendron, you wouldn't catch me blooming this past February. A flower bud that can survive all the snow and chill deserves a medal.
    A fern in a branch nook: priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very little was interested in blooming this February! Thank goodness that warmer temperatures are on the way!

      Delete
  3. Heavy indeed, but worth the workout. (I have to pick up my fallen fire hydrant every spring so I know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm not sure where I'll put the pipes but it's fun to have more things to play with.

      Delete
  4. Hello, passing by to see the news.
    Good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A rusty colored carex would look good in a pipe. . Have you swiped one yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By an interesting coincidence, the husband of one of my coworkers is on the road crew. He asked his supervisor about them and actually put some on my lawn today while I was at school. No swiping necessary. How cool is that?

      Delete
  6. Heavy pipes don't fall over as easily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Loree would be knocking at your door asking your assistance in loading some of those things into her car.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spring should be full of blooms if the winter blooms are just popping. I am with Loree, something cascading from the pipes would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Construction/renovation is necessary, but you have my sympathies about the noise. Hope it is over soon.
    How about one of those bronze New Zealand sedges in the rusty pipe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures remind me of an evening when we were sitting with friends on their front porch. There was sewer work going on. Along comes a pick up truck, the riders take the metal ring that goes under the manhole cover, put it in the back of their truck right in front of us, and drive off. Like good citizens, we called 911. A cop came out, we told him what happened, but he looked unimpressed. "So what's the problem," he asked. "Does it belong to you?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.