-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Wednesday Vignette - Signs of spring

Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click here to join the fun. 



There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs singing in the pools at night,
And wild plum-trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;


And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;


And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.
- Sara Teasdale


14 comments:

  1. I love seeing the mayapples start to come up. It will still be awhile here, but the earliest signs of spring have finally arrived. What a lovely, if sobering, poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that the earliest signs of spring have arrived in your neck of the woods!

      Delete
  2. Spring is a-stirring! (I'd say I think a lot like Sara Teasdale.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely Spring poem, till the apocalyptic end...
    What is featured in the last photo? A deciduous conifer perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of like Sara herself who ended her own life.
      A dwarf Larix of some sort.

      Delete
  4. Your podophyllum are so far ahead of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange that I have some that haven't shown their heads yet and some that are quite a bit farther along. Crazy plants.

      Delete
  5. You are the Podophyllum master, I think. Like Loree, your Pod people are way ahead of mine. I like the poem very much. It reminds me of all the times people say "Save the planet." We don't have to save the planet, we have to save ourselves. The planet will survive without us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there will be equilibrium on the planet in one way or another. It would be nice if humans could be part of it but in a few billion years, the planet itself will be gone. Here's an interesting scientific prediction of the end of time. https://youtu.be/uD4izuDMUQA

      Delete
  6. I can only hope that the birds and the frogs and the natural world will survive the foolish humans who act as though they can reign supreme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful poem... my sentiments exactly. And, I agree with Alison and Kris. I'm sick and tired of everything we do always benefitting humans and no other specie. Interesting that you have some Pods that are not showing yet. I have one of those, and until I read that, I had feared its demise. Maybe it IS dead, but at least now I have hope! The one I'm worried about is P. hexandrum. Do you have that one, and if so - how is it doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have P. hexandrum and it's always late to emerge and has never been as happy in my garden as the others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.