-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Well, It's Done - Sort Of

A couple of Thursdays ago, I came home from work and decided to solder the latest project.  I thought that solder and putty would take about three hours.  (It took 4.)  Tom said, "Why don't you wait until Saturday when you'll be rested and have a whole day to work?  You'll make mistakes if your tired."  I should have listened as now I can only see the blaring mistakes in the panel.  "She's a very expressive musician; too bad she can't sing in tune."  Fortunately, the panel can be pulled apart, the mistakes corrected.  Finally this weekend, I was home when it was light outside, hung the window and took a few pictures.

There are a few things that I love about the panel.  The glass selection and use of different lead profiles is lovely. (One can't really see the lead profiles with the light shining through. 

The front entry is fun. The little lights on either side of the door are jewels that Florence gave me for my 40th birthday.  Originally the backs were silvered as they were meant for use in jewelry when they were made 100 years ago.  An overnight soak in muriatic acid removed that.  The front door and oval window are tiny jewels that Florence gave me just for this project.




I've been told not to point out mistakes so I won't but the panel is now back down in the basement waiting to be fixed.
Oh well, I learned some valuable lessons in doing this so quickly. 

By the way, that vertical black streak in the sky is a bit of exterior paint from a paint job  before we moved into the house and seems impervious to razor blade, pressure washing, and everything else I've tried to remove it.


It's always interesting to see how windows change throughout the day with different light.



21 comments:

  1. I LOVE it. I really have no idea what "lead profiles" are, or what mistakes you see in the finished project. I see nothing but gorgeousness. It is marvelous how many patterns you were able to incorporate: it's so appropriate to a victorian house.
    What is hanging on the door knob?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. The profile of the lead is the shape and size of the surface. There are some that are pointed, others round, some almost flat, some are wider than others. It all reads as negative space unless you see it in person. The thing below the doorknob is a little metal thingy that I thought looked a bit like a fancy lock. Don't know if I like it or not and it's not yet affixed permanently.

      Delete
  2. Don't you hate it when "they" manage to be right and we didn't listen?

    Peter this is just amazing. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you show this again when you've "fixed" it. That would be a master class in itself! The light transformation in the last photo shows why you work so hard on these projects. As always, just in awe of your skills, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fixes wouldn't look much different as they're mostly hidden in the pictures. This was a fun project. You are very kind but anyone can learn the skills and then it's just a matter of doing it over and over again, learning with each project.

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful, I don't see any mistakes of course because I know nothing. Your choice of various glasses for the different parts of the picture is masterful. Isn't it frustrating to have things like that little streak of paint that won't come off the window behind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mistake would require a close-up to see. Since the window is just for me, I probably won't bother fixing it.

      Delete
  5. It’s just beautiful Peter and I can’t see a single mistake. But I know what you mean. I’m a perfectionist too and I don’t think you can be a true craftsperson unless you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked for mistakes but all I see is a sense of love and a beautiful window. What a gift you have being able to make such a thing. It is amazing how different it looks with the variations of lighting. The different light brings out the patterns of glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Learning how to do stained glass is one of the many gifts that living in an old house has brought.

      Delete
  7. I know nothing about creating stained glass but, even really trying to see the mistakes you mentioned, I couldn't identify any. It looks like a spectacular piece to me, complete with a wide range of intricate details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're always our own worst critics aren't we. The blaring mistake requires getting really close to the window to see.

      Delete
  8. Truly a masterpiece, Peter. I love the different textured glass, it adds so much to the piece. Wonderfully creative artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous creation! Well done, Peter. Only you know of any mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Yes, and I'm not pointing out the mistakes!

      Delete
  10. Peter, this is truly amazing! I love all the different patterns and textures, it takes a true artist to visulise the finished masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh Peter, I could sit and stare at that for hours to try to find a mistake, but alas, all I see is wonderful creativeness. It is truly a beautiful work of art.

    Have a great weekend and I'm glad for your sake that the mistake is an easy fix for you to handle. Then you can rest and enjoy your beautiful piece.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.