-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, January 11, 2019

Random Friday


Seedpods of Cardiocrinum giganteum are nearly as delightful as the blooms themselves and they last a lot longer.   These caught my eye on an evening stroll in the garden.


Growers for the big box stores seem to always be looking for new ways to display tillandsias.

And now for some new plants.  At the after Christmas sale at Watson's,  a free poinsettia came with every purchase. Many people just toss these as soon as the holiday season is over but why not enjoy the bright red bracts for a bit longer?  The price was certainly right for this large specimen. 

One can never have too many Cryptanthus and the patterned leaves of this last one on the shelf called out to me.


Abies koreana 'Kohout's Ice Breaker'  has glorious silver needles like it's parent.  It originated as a witch's broom from 'Silberlocke' in Germany.  Hardy to zone 4, this miniature will grow to 1.5' x 1.5' in 10 years (it's already 1'x1') so it should be perfect for a pot.  I've no idea if it'll produce the beautiful cones that 'Silberlocke' does.  It really wanted to come home with me. 
Well, that's it for this random post.  Have a good weekend all!

15 comments:

  1. The Cardocrinium pods look similar to Martagon pods but arranged differently on the stem. I planted that little 'Ice Breaker' last summer. Cute and gorgeous all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Ice Breaker' was new to me and you're right, it's a pretty swell plant!

      Delete
  2. I bought that same Cryptanthus recently at Watson's, with my Dan Dollars, just before Christmas. They had a few Bromeliads that caught my eye, but that was the one that stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just got in some more Bromeliads for the houseplant sale. Glad you got one of the Cryptanthus too.

      Delete
  3. Love that Cryptanthus and like Alison I recently acquired one, mine at Portland Nursery. Mine is still blackish, as it's setting in front of a window. When I was at the nursery yesterday (houseplant sale) I noticed the ones still there are turning sort of muddy green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know that great minds think (lust?) alike.

      Delete
  4. That Cryptanthus is quite stunning. I thought it was a black and white photo, so it's good thing the red pot was included in the shot. Did the cute Abies koreana came home with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that cutie came home with me. Because it's a dwarf, it should be happy in a pot on my back steps for quite a while.

      Delete
  5. Everything about this post is intriguing and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My local botanic garden just introduced goat yoga - maybe I should suggest yoga with Tillandsias, which would be more my speed. I love that Cryptanthus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goat yoga? Really? How do they get the goats to get into those yoga poses? You sure it's not goat yogurt? Tillandsia yoga would be more my speed as well.

      Delete
  7. I do get a kick out of all the ways they display tillandsias. One local store has them stuffed under shells so they look like hanging jellyfish, which always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Cardiocrinum seed heads make me think of dinosaur skeletons with lots of pointy teeth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.