-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Everblooming Winter Flowers

On Saturday, I had the pleasure of helping a group of folks grow a different kind of flowers.   The class participants were so much fun that the time flew by and I forgot any disappointment at not spending a sunny day in the garden.  (Teaching the class gave me a great excuse to procrastinate a bit longer.)

It started with a bit of paper, some scissors,

Some inexpensive electrical conduit and some glass. 

Toss in a lot of creativity and a few hours.




Petals begin to emerge.





Before you know it, flowers are popping up everywhere. 

Lots of laughter, fun and a band aid or two and folks went home with a glass garden stake to enjoy. 


I've taught this class many times and no two flowers are ever alike. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures of all 14 flowers but they were all tremendous.  

What other kind of flower gets planted and sends up blooms all in the same day?  

What a fun way to spend a Saturday!

14 comments:

  1. I love the next to last flower, is very warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good times; it looks like a very satisfying class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these people are so lucky to have you as a teacher! I'm curious (of course) about the glass Saguaros. Did they flatten out? Or retain their cactus shape? (not sure if heat was a factor in the building)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when those Saguaros appeared. They're ceramic and were attatched to little white plate/bowl things that were broken off. (Found at a dollar store.) The bottom parts were wrapped with lead (hiding the white bit) and attached to wire so that they could angle up instead of lying flat like this.

      Delete
  4. I would sign up for your class in a second if only you weren't more than a thousand miles away, Peter! It looks like fun and each and every one of your students' creations is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very cool! I agree a wonderfully creative way to spend a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fun class and so rewarding to take your creation home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love LOVE these flowers. The stamens and pistils make them real to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun workshop - I'd have trouble choosing colors... maybe one of each!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I lived closer--I'd love to attend your class! Gosh, this inspires me to find a similar workshop in Madison. These are all fabulous creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of that in one day? Impressive. and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! What a great activity with lovely results.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.