-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, January 21, 2019

In a Vase on Monday: An English Memory

Not that I'm old or anything but I remember being in London when bells all over the city were ringing to celebrate the birth of Prince William.  My college choir had just completed a tour of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales and I was smitten with the history, architecture, and people of  "This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England."    Upon our arrival in May, I'd been disappointed to find Westminster Abbey closed to the public.  There was a group gathered outside so I joined them.  My disappointment at the closure was soon replaced with giddiness as first Prince Charles and Then Her Majesty arrived, dressed in regalia for an Order of the Bath installation ceremony.  What a thrill for a foreigner to stumble upon this quite by accident.

Today's vase is a memento of that trip, a little Wedgwood jasperware piece that I'd brought home to my mother.


Contents include memories of the season past: berries of Dichroa febrifuga and Gaultheria mucronata, along with newly sprung blooms of Hamamelis × intermedia 'Diane' and various evergreens.



The vase is sitting atop a doily crocheted by my mother, also an Elizabeth.

The small trinket box was a piece I brought home from that trip for myself and the plate behind was found at a thrift shop priced  at less than a dollar.

The dried hydrangea got tossed in because there should be something to go with the blue jasperware.

Also from England is our fabulous host, Cathy,  at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see Cathy's vase  and to find links to those of other participating bloggers.

22 comments:

  1. You must have a lot of great memories and stories from that trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swore to return someday but never got around to it. With retirement only a few years away, I'm thinking that would be a great time to finally go back.

      Delete
  2. Lovely memories to hold, Peter. Adding the hydrangea at the last minute works perfectly as it seems to pull it all together. Now, shall I be pedantic and say that I am not English but Scottish and now living in England (since 1963!)...?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cathy, I'd no idea that you're Scottish but knew that your garden is in England. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pieces with a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful colourful collection. How exciting for you to see the royals on your trip and in full regalia! I like blue and white china but I don't actually have any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just imagine your excitement. So pleased you enjoyed your visit to the UK. You collection of Wedgewood is to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a thrill! You live in a beautiful part of the world to which I hope to return someday.

      Delete
  6. As an avid watcher of Victoria, The Crown and everything else British, I'm so happy for you that you got to see the queen and prince Charles; it must have been so exciting. Today's vase is a lovely tribute and very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved The Crown and must watch Victoria. Also a big fan of lots of those silly BBC comedies. It was exciting to see The Queen and Prince Charles!

      Delete
  7. What a nice memory from your trip to England. It must have been thrilling to see Prince Charles and the queen. My son is the same age as William, they were born within a month of each other. I love that you are using those beautiful Wedgwood pieces for today's arrangement. My MIL had quite an extensive collection of blue Wedgwood, I used to have quite a lot too, but I don't have it any longer. MIL would probably have been scandalized that you are using the vase as a vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day we'll downsize or die in the hoard and it'll all find new homes. Might as well pull things out and enjoy them while we can, right?

      Delete
  8. I like this arrangement so much--you've styled it perfectly. Have always loved jasperware, the color blue, hydrangeas and am becoming enamored of Hamamelis. Great story, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Wedgwood collection, Peter, and your arrangement reminds me of della Robbia, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made the Wedgewood pieces look even more beautiful without a single flower! You've mastered the art of winter arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that might be your best ever arrangement. It's absolutely perfect. The memories make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all the colors in your vase look great. It appears that they are cast against a blue sky with white clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very colorful--both the vase elements and your happy memories. Not that I'm old either, but I remember when Prince William was born, too. ;-) We made it over to London a few years ago when our daughter was studying there for a semester. Fun city. I would like to make it back, too. Nice tribute to Diana 'Diane' with the Hamamelis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your taste, Peter, all these pieces are awesome, especially the trinket box, that is a beauty. I think you're a good son! What a pleasant memory Peter, I have the same feeling looking at the pieces I've brought from England.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the colours and textures of your arrangement Peter. Isn't 'Diane' fabulous? Love your Wedgewood too. I'm another Elizabeth, like your Mother and the queen. Chloris is my nom de plume.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.