-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Wednesday Vignette - Blue Skies and an Oak

All day on Saturday, I had the pleasure of teaching a class in which participants created a glass flower garden stake.  (More on that in a future post.)  During a break, I stepped outside to enjoy the cloudless sky and admire a very old native oak (Quercus garryana aka Oregon White Oak)
behind the classroom at Mandarin Stained Glass.   From Alison I learned that according to Celtic myth, on the hibernal solstice the Oak King regains his supremacy from the Holly King.  The golden winter sun shining on this oak certainly gave the branches a regal appearance.  Perhaps this was coronation day of the new king.

Depending which icons got pushed in the edit function on Google albums, the scene looks very different.

Filters of life experience  shape our views of reality.  






Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum and the Creative Flux.  Click over to her blog to see more.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I love how the filters make each photo look so different. I can't decide which I like best -- the garish colors of the second to last, or the last black and white one, with the lacy white twigs against the gray sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue sky has been a most welcome feature this last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful through any filter! After a few days of steady rain, I'm starting to have a greater appreciation for your worship of blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the natural look.
    Now that you got this majestic winter shot, it would be fun to see the same tree at the same angel in spring summer and autumn.
    I want to learn how to make a glass flower garden stake! It's a fantastic excuse to scavenge thrift stores with a legitimate purpose...is if I need one. When you do repeat the class?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tampering with our blue skies is what the incoming clouds are doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a magnificent tree, no matter what the background! I bet you were secretly wishing you were at home in your garden instead of teaching a class on that day... it seemed like a gorgeous day for putzing around in the yard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too think you should showcase this tree later when it gets its leaves. Nice shots and interesting thoughts. I am sure the gods blessed this tree as they love all trees. I am not one to have glass in the garden. I am such a klutz. I break many glass pieces mostly in the house since I am afraid to use glass in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I love blue skies, the black and white image is compelling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.