-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, January 18, 2019

It's Indoor Plant Sale Time

Many garden centers in our region discount indoor plants in the month of January.  It's a great bridge between the holiday craziness and the spring rush.  Watson's is one of them and, since they're between home and the Sunday job, it's easy to stop in and see what's happening.   Come along and see if there's anything you can't live without. 

Beside the parking lot.  Look at that blue sky!

It's the time of year when evergreens are the stars of the show. 


While these are winter bloomers, anything in bloom can be counted as a sign of spring, right? 




It's sobering to think of the amount of work that goes into the nursery business.  Things are constantly being moved, planted, watered.  One of January's tasks is potting up the newly received bare-root roses.

 In just a few months these will be covered with blooms. 

Now, inside for the indoor plant sale.  

I've been eyeing these Kalanchoe delagoensis since they were covered with tightly closed buds.  Very tempting.

Indoor plants aren't the only things on sale.  There are many sale tables containing all manner of other merchandise as well.

Cacti and succulents.   Kind of sad to know that I already have one of each of these. Having a greenhouse is a dangerous thing.

 Truth be told, I'm not much of a houseplant person, it's just that so many of the outdoor plants like to spend the winter inside.


Staghorn ferns mounted on wood are lovely but they make me nervous.  Do they ever need to be re potted?  (Re wooded?)



Winter containers combining succulents and orchids.  How long can that marriage last? 




This bromeliad came home with me.  Yes, there are already a lot of these in the hoard but none like this one.  Because bromeliads have proven fairly forgiving of neglect on my part, they've won a place in my heart.

These are kind of cool and from the hardware on the back it looks as though they're meant to be hung on a wall.

Labeled "Fern" these were kind of cool. 

I love the color combination on these aglaonemas but they eventually want attention to look their best so admiring them at nurseries is best for me.

 More orchids and succulents.  

 The indoor plant sale continues through February 3.  Back out to the car with my new plant.


Have a great weekend all!

33 comments:

  1. Orchids and succulents! Someone is going to get a big surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will work for a while. When the orchid's done blooming they could be separated.

      Delete
  2. The Spanish moss tucked into shells and dangling from the rafters is a wonderful sight. The plant labeled "fern" is very cute: worth investigating further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often kill indoor ferns so it was easier to pass on this cutie.

      Delete
  3. Oh ya! Nice Bromeliad, I wish the PDXN houseplant sale would have had more Bromeliad options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like P.N. on Division had a lot of bromeliads a few years ago. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  4. What I need is that little round hairpin leg table! All my other tables are full...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, definitely more tables to fill with plants!

      Delete
  5. I don't see how anyone could come home without something from this place. Staghorn ferns do need to be rewooded. It take quite a long time, at least here. We are a lot dryer climate than yours. I know you could do it if you decided to.Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually find something that I can't live without. It's easier on the wallet to simply stay away.

      Delete
  6. I mounted two staghorn ferns that I bought at Watson's a couple of months ago, it wasn't that difficult to do, so if yours ever needed remounting I bet you could manage it. I have $10 in rewards points so I really should get out there and see if there's something I can't live without.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when all garden centers all used to have filled greenhouses and all kinds of gardening goodies. That's just not the case around here anymore, so I want to thank you for both the photos and for supporting your locals!
    I do kind of like the jellyfish bromeliads. Not for my house, but they are cool when they're hanging in a crowd like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that your garden centers are not as full of goodies anymore. On the bright side, it makes it easier to spend less. We're very lucky to have so many fabulous nurseries in our area even though there are a lot fewer than their used to be.

      Delete
  8. I love the urchin shell/tilandsias that look like jellyfish...very cool-looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they cool. You can find the urchin shells online and make them yourself. It's a fun and fast project.

      Delete
  9. Your part of the country would be an expensive place for a plantaholic to live, sales of no sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It's easier when you don't have space for anymore plants.

      Delete
  10. Tom's greenhouse is full and we are staying away from those plant sales!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great nursery, I'm not aware of one here that carries such a variety of plants. So many temptations! My windowsills are full so I have to be content. Looking forward to Hortlandia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy looking at the nurseries even though my greenhouse and windowsills are full. It makes it easier not to buy anything.

      Delete
  12. Nice to be able to comment again.. Blogger disowned me while I was away.
    Even nicer to see hellebores, there and here. They have brightened this battered and neglected January garden no end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellebores are such a welcome sight in our winter gardens, aren't they?

      Delete
  13. Been lusting after one of those Heart Fern Hemionitis arifolia for a long time now. Can't find one locally; may have to order online. I, too, like the 'jellyfish' swimming in the air. What a fun tour! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the fern I.D. That plant is adorable and I hope you find one soon.

      Delete
  14. You only bought one plant? But what about those lovely hellebores, how did you leave those behind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hellebores were, indeed lovely but I already have a lot of them in my garden.

      Delete
  15. Nice! I need to go to a place like that. It is really frigid here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that the polar vortex got to you. We're still in the midst of the warmest January on record in our area. This is okay with me as long as we don't get a big freeze that kills all the things that are popping up early.

      Delete
  16. What a place...I can imagine all the full wagons that must head out to the shoppers cars. Here in Florida, stag horn ferns are usually mounted on trees and grow to staggering sizes. I do know that if one outgrows a board (if that is the way it was originally grown) that you can attach the board to a larger piece of wood with a couple of nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very popular place. Good to know about attaching the goard to a larger piece of wood. I have two but they're both in pots.

      Delete
  17. A store worth visiting even if you don't intend to buy anything,just to refresh the spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.