-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 31, 2019

The Tacoma Home and Garden Show Part 1 - Garden Stuff

The Tacoma HOME and garden  show took place from January 24 - 26.  There were still a few gardens put together by landscape companies but no plant sale area this year.  January is a difficult time to sell plants as so many things are dormant and sales can be slow.  Also, the Seattle Show is only a month later.  However  Mak Lilies & Perennials was still a vendor as was a new Seattle business called Viridescence, specializing in house plants.  Also new this year was a workshop area where a few folks were dyeing fabric.

First the gardens:

Nature Perfect Landscaping 



For those interested in a relatively low-maintenance garden wthat looks pretty much this way year round, this is perfect

This floriferous Garrya in a shiny ceramic pot was a great draw at Olympic Landscapes'  garden.


Speaking of eye catching, catch this fabulous iron moon gate.  (Made by Bare Ornamental Iron)


Echoing the moon gate shape are these two smaller versions.

Another shot of the moon gate.  If only I had space for this in my garden. 


Father Nature Landscapes has had small displays at this show for several years but this year they really upped their game and created this much larger garden.  So much to love here and while I'll never understand the allure of having a television outside, I like the way they've incorporated this in the wall.  (How to keep the plants watered and keep the T.V. dry?)


Totally enamored of this table with a rill flowing through it. 


The Plant Vendors:
Mak Lilies and Perennials had lots of great offerings.



"Plants can't solve all problems, but they're a great start."  A new business in the horticultural world is always a reason for hope I wish  the charming young businesswomen who've opened Viridescence all the luck in the world.  They'll also be at the Seattle Flower and Garden Show. 








Blackwaters Metals will also be at the Seattle Show.  I must find space for one of these dinosaurs!



Cool stuff but I didn't get the name of this vendor. 

The dyeing workshop.





Stay tuned for part two.  




17 comments:

  1. For a brief moment at the Viridescence display, I thought I was back at your greenhouse!
    I'd be perfectly happy in "a relatively low-maintenance garden that looks pretty much this way year round", if it looked that good. There will be no Tell The Truth entries from such a garden; just serenity year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I still am happy to drag things in and out and have fun in my high maintenance garden, I can see that there may be a time when a garden like that would be more to my liking.

      Delete
  2. I was briefly tempted to go but too lazy to actually get off my butt. Thanks for sharing your pics. A TV outside, especially here where it rains so much, is just not practical. That low-maintenance garden full of conifers is a good option for me to consider as I get older and think about downsizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed stopping by the show on my way home from work but was already out of the house. For me, the enjoyment of the garden is about being out there and doing stuff, not so much the finished product but I can see the appeal of a garden that would require less work.

      Delete
  3. A TV outside, good lord. If one of my neighbors did such a thing I'm afraid I might go into a murderous rage. Well unless they kept the sound off and only listened through earbuds.

    I love the "green wall" of the Father Nature Landscapes garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, a TV outside. If my neighbors did that I would want to move. Well, no, I would want them to move so I could stay with my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first garden is my image of the quintessential PNW garden but I like what you, Alison and Loree have created far more. I like the dinosaurs almost as much as I like dragons and may need to find something like that to sit among my succulents someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackwaters Metal Art is nearby so when you visit to visit your husband's relatives on Vashon, we could hook you up with a dinosaur or three. You do plan on bringing a truck, right?

      Delete
  6. I have never been fond of black pots but golly when you have a gorgeous plant in them they do fade into the surrounds. I love those umbrellas. I am also in love with rills. I have fantasized about having one of those. This one looks very doable. What a fun day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was enjoyable. Hope that umbrella vendor is also at the Seattle show.

      Delete
  7. I am very curious to see the results of that dying process. That's not the usual way to use plant dyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at the book that they had on the table about dyeing but none of the images showed this method and there weren't any samples of the finished product. I bet it would yield a nifty result.

      Delete
  8. The moon gate, which should rust beautifully, was pretty cool. I also liked the plants tucked into the timber wall at Father Nature Landscapes (not the TV! what a sacrilege!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of cool stuff - I have dinosaur envy! I also like the moon gate, though I can't see one in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many nice things! I'd definitely buy the cute golden dino planters! The moon gate was amazing too, I can envision roses growing over it, dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never saw such glorious place to visit flourished with wonderful and delightful stuff dear Friend !

    i am so happy you shared this ,i truly enjoyed these absolutely amusing sights and charming things

    plants provide us oxygen and this solve the main problem of "easy clean breath" :)

    thank you sooo much i just loved this post my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.