-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Sorticulture 2017

Last year, after hearing so much about Everett's garden arts festival called Sorticulture,  I finally attended and swore that I'd never miss it again.  What an amazing feast for the senses with all sorts of fabulous garden art, plant and food vendors, plant talks, and live entertainment.  You know how sometimes when you attend an event the first time it seems over-the-top amazing but when you see it again, it doesn't seem so grand because you know what to expect?  That certainly was not the feeling I got going back to Sorticulture.  It seemed just as fabulous as my first visit.  The park in which the event is held is large and one can easily loose track of where everything is.  The sheer volume of eye candy can be overwhelming so it's best to plan on spending an entire day.  This year, I spent less time taking pictures and more time just taking it all in and enjoying the experience. See previous posts here, here, here, and here.   Here are just a few images of the fun:

There are some garden vignettes put together by local landscape companies.  


Fun art was everywhere!

Carnivorous Plants From Mars.  Really, check it out here


Lots of glorious glass.




This adorable dog by Justin Bergevin (The Rusty Bolt)  garnered much attention and praise. 




There were smaller pups available as well.


Thanks to Barbara Saunderson for  telling me that these cool fused glass egg plats were crated by Aiko Vail.  I'd forgotten.

Beth Wright's wire and bead baskets are perfect for succulents. 


Portland-based Katy LaReau's glass flowers and bugs are cheerful and popular. 

Cacti but no metal agaves this year. 

Merrilee More's glass drops look grand in large groups like these. 


Bedrock Industries makes everything out of recycled materials. Their motto is "Specializing in trash beautification since 1992."

While I love the pieces they create, I equally enjoy visiting their shop to find materials for all sorts of projects.

Shannon Buckner's Bent Productions with their graceful organic lines have always caught my eye but I never fully appreciated their beauty until seeing them in garden settings.  How on earth can a blacksmith create such delicate-looking pieces from metal?


All decked out for the occasion.  A few of these fish swam home with me. 

So did a metal flower or two.





Growing 
 or cut, flowers abounded.

Plant vendors, oh yes!  Is that a Wollemia nobilis by any chance?  

Albuca spiralis 'Frizzle Sizzle.'   
 Many of the plant vendors were independent growers who brought specialty plants.  River Rock Nursery of Carver, Oregon once brought a lot of swell plants including Quercus alnifolia, an evergreen oak whose common name, Golden Oak, comes from the golden color of the undersides of the leaves and is the national tree of Cyprus. RRN brought them to the Rhododendron Species Garden sale this spring,  there were specimens at Hortlandia.  this time, they had tiny ones and one of them came home with me.  Yes it's already in a bigger pot and no, I don't know where I'll plant it eventually.

Just when hope seemed slim -   Yes Virginia, there is always an agave thanks to Marcus Harper Glass Works.



Taking a break from all the excitement, this fellow relaxes 'neath a Podophyllum parasol. 
This was an iota of the artwork and plants at Sorticulture.  I certainly plan to attend again next June and hope you do too!

23 comments:

  1. How the heck do you find all these cool places to vist ? A Garden Arts Festival what fun I'd have there. And a shop to purchase stuff to create your own art. The acuba looks just like garlic scapes. Fish swams are crazy pretty. Liking the medal art work also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to find cool garden places in this region as there are so many of them. Far fewer than 15 or so years ago as some smaller businesses have gone out but we're still pretty darned lucky!

      Delete
  2. Wowza. I would spend way, way too much there. Love all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, most people take credit cards and for your convenience, there's an ATM on site just for the event. Next June, bring a U-Haul and shop away!

      Delete
  3. I love some of those glass pieces but wonder how many would get broken in our windstorms. Lost the leader on my Golden Shadows dogwood for the 4th time in last week's storm, so I hesitate to add glass to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glass is pretty strong stuff unless something like a rock or tree falls on it. I leave my fused glass windchimes out all winter and have never had anything break as the glass slams against itself in the wind.

      Delete
  4. This was my second time at Sorticulture: isn't it just the best event? Definitely going to be a tradition. We looked at and liked many of the same things, such as the window frame with glass flower vase (drool) and Shannon Buckner's metal creations: so delicate and gentle it blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a fun event? Looking forward to Bellevue Botanical Garden's Arts in the Garden festival in August. http://www.artsinthegardenbellevue.org/

      Delete
  5. I went for the first time this year and I'd love to go back again next year. So many cool art pieces and cool plants. I have one of Ian Beyer's birds in my garden, but more would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed Sorticulture! It's a bit of a drive from our area but definitely worth it!

      Delete
  6. Wow, awesome! I want to go to that event! The glassworks, in particular, are stunning. I've recently added a few glass items to the garden (saying prayers every time excessive straight-line winds and hail make their way through--much too often this summer). There are so many things you featured that I want to buy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorticulture happens every June so y'all come on out west with a truck and shop away!

      Delete
  7. What fun! Thank god you found the agave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Was about to loose faith in the ever-present agave or simply say that the exception proves the rule.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you weren't disappointed. I wouldn't have been either - broke maybe, but not disappointed. I loved all the metal-work creations and that carnivorous plant display was the best I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! What a delight that must have been to stroll through. I saw several items I liked. :-)

    Happy Summer and thanks for sharing all of these wonderful places you visit.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to Sortaculture for the first time last year also, and decided not to go back this year. Your photos remind me of all of the wonderfully creative garden art to be found there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mercy, I can see right now that I would have to save up for a couple of years to go to this festival. What fabulous artists there are here, not to mention the plants. Fun fun...
    I tried your link to previous posts about the festival and it took me to this same post. I would love to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, for the heads-up about the link. I corrected the error so now the links go to last year's posts. Since it happens annually, you have time to start saving now!

      Delete
  12. I like all the stained glass flowers and metal animals. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing array of plants and art - I fell in love with Bent Productions' work. Think they ship??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow that's a lot of temptation. I could have easily taken home a couple of those, and my credit card would be screaming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.