-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 10, 2017

In a Vase on Monday - Cheating Again

A busy weekend of garden touring and trying to keep potted plants hydrated left little time to bring flowers inside.  Since I'm spending more time outside these days, I decided to do an arrangement to enjoy in the garden.  Several Christmases ago, my dear friend Florence gave me this delightful  Italian cherub holding a basket.  It sat in our entryway where I very much enjoyed it.  My plan was to pump water through the base and have it tumble over the sides but that never got done. While strolling through Molbak's on Sunday after touring several fantastic gardens in Snohomish, my eye caughtFestuca glauca 'Beyond Blue.'  Hey, that looks a bit like a fountain.  Throw in some Sedum forsterianum 'Antique Grill' and Sedum spathulifolium 'Silver Moon' and there you have it a dry water feature.  If one can have a dry creek bed, why not this?

The exposed soil was covered with some glass bits I had around and a bit of Spanish Moss was gathered from the greenhouse to cascade even lower.  This is by far the easiest water feature I've ever done.  Yes, I'll sweep up the spilled soil and ever present bamboo litter on the ground beneath.
In A Vase On Monday is hosted by the talented  Cathy at Rambling in the garden.  Click here to join in the fun!

18 comments:

  1. And you don't have to fuss with a pump! What a great idea. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. That grass is perfect. Huh. Fountain grass. So THAT's what that means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I had to laugh at your comment on Rambling where you said you cheated. I did, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you've now have another justification for buying plants: easier Monday vases! :)
    The "fountain" is a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, no need to hassle with a pump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such vision, Peter - a brilliant idea, and not cheating at all. You always have your tongue in your cheek for your IAVOM vases, anyway!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous and not cheating at all, creating...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! What a great use for the cherub.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to have a generous friend like Florence. I follow the link to your post of her garden and it looks magnificent. I have a few dry creek beds but never thought of a dry fountain; I just may borrow the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done, Peter! In my area, I've noticed more and more fountains converted into planters with water-like foliage. It's a clever way of creating the illusion of water when you can't afford to waste a precious drop of the real stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's orginal! The cherub is adorable. Oh , you sure like succulents...great back drop for anything

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always interested in seeing what kind of plants in which arrangements grow in other parts of the world.
    Your really seem to be linked with everybody else and his brother!
    Maybe you would like to sneak into a German garden? Then please visit my German-English garden blog.
    Wishes from Germany
    Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea.....love the planting arrangement more than a fountain I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my favorite VOM yet! I love the little statue planter and the plants are perfect and going to get even better in time! I love that you are enjoying being outside : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fabulous fountain. A vase full that will continue to improve instead of dying out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that piece of statuary, and your "fountain" is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.