-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - July 2017

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted on the fifteenth of every month by the inimitable award-winning blogger, published author, and accomplished gardener, Carol from May Dreams Gardens. Click here to join the florapalooza and see what's blooming in gardens all over the world.  Many thanks, Carol, for continuing to host the party!

In my zone 8 pacific northwest garden, July is so full of blooms that this photo-heavy post missed quite a few like Tropaeolum speciosum which, knock wood, seems to be here to stay - finally.

Brugmansias are in full flush right now but will most likely be bloom free in a week for my garden open.



 Datura

Begonias






Hanging around the pot ghetto.
Impatiens


Inherited Daylilies, daisies, and Salvia 'Amistad'

"Wild" Sweet Pea.

Cotinus and Feverfew.
 Agastache and Dasies.

Romneya coulteri


 Buddleia

Some Campanula or other.

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

More Daylilies


Oriental Lilies


Being choked here by a Passion Flower vine.  Got to get these out of the pot and into the ground one of these years.




 Asiatic Lilies.

Abutilon megapotamicum made it through this winter in a pot elevated off of the ground. Took it a bit longer to come back and start blooming though.

A. 'Victor Reiter' wintered in the greenhouse.


Daphne

Geranium 'Ann Folkard' gets around. 

Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'

Forgot the name of this one.  Saw it blooming at Windcliff today and another visitor asked me it's name.  Duh, I dunno.  Got home and saw it blooming in my own garden.  Still don't remember. Class? Anyone?  Anyone? Bueller?

Clematis 'Nelly Moser'

Clematis, Fuchsia, tangle of vines. 

Fuchsia

 Fuchsia 'Delta's Groom'

Dichroa febrifuga

Hosta

Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer'  If this is hardy, many of the others will be ripped out.

Fremontodendron and orange Alstoemeria.
 Another Alstroemeria.   

Hypericum

Some dahlia or other that made it through the winter outside in a pot.

Kalmia latifolia is just about finished blooming for this year. 

Some of the many Pelargonum (Geraniums.)



Most of the roses are taking a bit of a break.  This one, mislabled 'Playboy' is a sweetly fragrant beauty.  

Forgot the name of this one too and it's too late to go tag hunting. 

Tillandsia

Hydrangea season is just starting. 




The peachy- orange flowered one is Stachys hidalgo whose leaves smell like 7-Up when brushed. 

Ligularia somethingorother.

Arisaema

Origanum 'Kent Beauty'

Clerodendrum trichotomum

 Genista aetnensis AKA Mount Etna broom

Amaryllis in the greenhouse are now on their own schedule and pop out blooms when they feel like it.

Calycanthus chinensis
 Slavia  clevelandii 'Alpine'

I'm very excited that this Gasteria that I've had for many years and is now quite sizable has thrown up several huge wands of these boom spikes (scapes.) The plant name (gaster means stomach) comes from the stomach-shaped blooms.

Allium schubertii 'Spraypainteum' 
How I wish that July could last forever! 

28 comments:

  1. All the flowers are stunning but that yellow Begonia takes the cake, it looks like a Rose or a Camellia, absolutely stunning! Datura is very invasive here,I had one but seeded itself around excessively and the "babies" grew at ferocious rate, I had to remove them all the time. ¿does it behave invasively there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it's not invasive at all, in fact has never seeded in my garden. However, in the greenhouse, if I let it seed, it sprouts in other pots.

      Delete
    2. Do you overwinter Datura in a greenhouse? Daturas grow everywhere here,in neglected gardens and vacant lots. There is a huge Datura near my house and it blocks almost all the sidewalk, it has been cut to the ground many times but it grows back stubbornly. The hardiness zone here is equivalent to the US zone 9 humid subtropical without dry season.

      Delete
    3. Datura and the related Brugmansia both spend the winter in the greenhouse here. While we're in zone 8, they aren't reliably hardy in the ground. However in Georgia, also in zone 8 but with much warmer springs and summers they come back from the roots if killed to the ground. That beautiful fragrance and those huge flowers make it worth the work.

      Delete
  2. Now that is what I call a serious dose of flower power. What a lovely way to start my day. It's too hot here in FL in July to do much outside, so thanks for that pleasant stroll through your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, dial up Hinkley and ask him, okay? ;) We'll wait. Hooray for the blooming gasteria, love to see those tall scapes dangling. But of all the riches, I think my favorite is "Clematis, Fuchsia, tangle of vines" -- I need about 20 more photos of that. Flannel bush and alstroemeria a close second. What a summer, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a wonderful cavalcade of blooms! I saw you had a post this morning and thought I had the day wrong, and that it was still a weekday. But it's Bloom Day, and it crept up and surprised me for once. Do you happen to remember the name of that Cotinus? I need another one, and I'd like to choose one that flowers profusely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry your garden is so lacking in flowers...

    For me it's "Fremontodendron and orange Alstoemeria" for the win. Why don't I ever remember to photograph my Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' for bloomday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a pity that none of my plants bloom. Maybe I should pick up some petunias so I could have some color.

      Delete
  6. loved the Allium schubertii 'Spraypainteum'. I guess you get the seed from a DIY paint shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, beautiful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many amazing flowers that I am at a loss for words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a floral explosion! Whatever delays your garden experienced due to that nasty winter you had, it's sure made up for lost time. I loved that photo of the Clematis with the Fuchsia. My heart tugs every time I see Fuchsias, tuberous begonias and Hydrangeas, all of which I used to grow in my former cooler, shadier garden just 15 miles away...Happy GBBD, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly have a plethora of blooms. I can't believe you have a Jack-in-the-pulpit blooming this time of year. Fabulous. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! July fireworks in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peter, what a glorious garden full of blooms to delight the senses. Everything looks splendidly healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peter, what Brugmansias! I thought they only grow in Botanic gardens and you have it in yours. Wonderful!
    I also liked your begonias, mine ones are in bloom too.
    Happy GBBD, your blooming garden is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, what a great variety of Allium! Quite an unusual one there ;) You have some amazing blooms, several of which I've never heard of before. Your Brugmansias are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think you have anything to worry about for your open day, things look great and I'm sure there will be many amazing things in flower for at least next month or two. Love the smokebush and feverfew combo, I think I have to let mine smoke next summer rather than cut it down this winter!
    I wonder if your unknown flower is a species freesia, Freesia laxa. I hear it's somewhat hardy but also a spreader.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do the yellow asiatic lilies bloom in the pot year after year? That is very cool. Do they overwinter in the greenhouse? I've been ripping out my Alstroemeria. I lusted over Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer' at Molbak's but the sticker shock cured me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those silly lilies have been blooming in the pot for at least four years. It's a really big pot and some years I haul it up by my back steps to enjoy the blooms and then haul it back down to the pot ghetto for the foliage to ripen off. This year I was lazy.

      Delete
  17. Keep breaking the rules. It works!
    Happy Bloom Day
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that's a lot of flowers!Love that Romneya coulteri, wish I could grow it here. I also admire your "tangle of vines" with the blue Clematis.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a glorious abundance of blooms Peter. I adore the Brugmansias and I am so envious of your lovely lilies with no lily beetle damage. Your little mystery plant looks like Anomatheca laxa to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic variety of blooms you have, Peter! I'm wondering where one can buy Allium 'Spraypainteum'--I do love that blue, haha:) Although we do share some blooms in common, you always have something unusual and new to me, like the Gasteria. And as always, I am so envious of the Agastache, a plant I love but one that doesn't like Illinois winters. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.