-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 3, 2017

In A Vase On Monday - Sunny Side Up!

The warm days of summer that we in this neck of the woods dream of all year long are here!  I'm out of school for a few weeks and so there is lots of time to work outside which makes me happy so I decided to use this mug that my eldest sister sent an arrangement in for my birthday last year.  The patio table is crowded with tools and things are getting done little by little.  Even a few things that have been sitting in the pot ghetto for a couple of years are finally in the ground or at least in bigger pots:)

Another thing that makes me happy is that the Romneya coulteri (Matilija Poppy, Fried Egg Flower) has begun blooming.  Years ago, just two small plants were planted and now they've taken over the front parking strip and have moved under the sidewalk to start growing in the side parking strip as well.  White and yellow it is.  Joining the Matilija Poppies are a couple of daisies, Tanacetum parthenium (Feverfew) which seeds itself around in different places each year, and fennel foliage and flower.

Here it is posing on the branch of the contorted filbert. However, since squirrels like to play here and raccoons might be curious, the arrangement came inside to brighten the kitchen.

In A Vase On Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden. Click here to join in the fun!

17 comments:

  1. I first saw those poppies in California twenty years ago and have never forgotten them. How lucky to be able to grow them. I need to plant more fennel. I only have one plant in a spot where it really doesn't do much and that is a great bloom from it. We have a Stewartia tree in a spot where it is most noticeable in fall color and when the top flowers open and then fall to the ground looking like fried eggs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet arrangement and so cheerful given how hard you must be working. Nothing like an open garden day looming to get projects going. On the other hand I like inviting friends over just for that reason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure know how to make a post fun. Great mix of flowers, oh so summery. Think I might have the Feverfew...have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love this! Makes me so happy and smiley just to look at it. Great way to start the day. Thanks, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bouquet puts a smile on my face. There must be something in the cup holding the flowers in place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bundle the florists could make if they were able to replicate your sunny smiling bouquet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the little thumbnail of your arrangement in my feed and thought the poppies were primroses, LOL. Not! That smiley cup is a fun container. I would have planted something in it, despite no drainage. So glad you're getting time now to work in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice bouquet, Peter! Romneya coulteri is new to me, is lovely!
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great hat your smiley mug is wearing - very summer season! That poppy is a most intriguing looking flowwr and as always you have combined the elements in you rown inimitable way - thanks Peter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a happy arrangement! My own Matilija poppies seem to be about done for the season and the plant isn't nearly as robust as yours appears to be but perhaps that's a good thing...Enjoy your time off, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw Matilija Poppies when I visited CA and was so taken by them. They are stunning, but sounds like they might take over? That smiley face mug does have its effect, one can't help but smile back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cheerful! Sunshine even on a cloudy day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The smiley mug also looks like he's wearing a huge hat, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! It is such a happy bouquet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How nice to have some time off to do what you love! Those days and hours are precious! Great arrangement, too. :) Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  16. cute and happy pic, perfectly colour coordinated. Enjoy your holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.