-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Laura Sevonty's Garden

Another weekend, another great group of Northwest Perennial Alliance open gardens.  Today, stroll with me through Laura Sevonty's Garden.  A beautiful sunny afternoon in June is a perfect time to visit a garden, but not the best time to take pictures.  I'm afraid that these images don't do Laura's garden justice.

"I am very fond of container gardening and have many pots that are planted for both summer and winter.  My brother, a professional landscaper, and I have been the primary designers, managers, and caretakers of the garden."

What an attractive and welcoming entrance!


This area had a desert southwest theme.  

"I consider my garden to be a free style, naturalistic garden. My house is on one third of an acre and is totally landscaped."

"The first major landscape was about 25 years ago.  The front and back lawns were completely removed and replaced with trees, shrubs, paths, raised beds, sitting areas, and garden art."

"Subsequently I've redone courtyard areas in the front and back yards."


"It is an ever evolving garden, designed for year round interest, and I believe provides a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere in which to relax, entertain, and work."





It certainly looks relaxing but keeping this space looking this great wouldn't leave a whole lot of time for relaxation.

Did you notice the variegated English Laurel? (Prunus laurocerasus variegata 'Marbled White?'  It's really beautiful in person.



Laura and her brother aren't the only ones who've been busy in their garden.

 Oh my goodness, look at that perfect potting bench!  I can only dream of such tidiness and organization.  The magic of Laura's garden is that it's magazine immaculate and yet  full of great plants, garden art, and other objects.  

Laura was full of energy but someone else seemed a bit tired.  Perhaps this is the real gardener.  
Thank you, Laura for opening your garden for us all to enjoy. Happy weekend and happy gardening all.  I'll be holding my own garden open for the NPA tomorrow.  Yikes!  

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely garden. Yes, the potting bench is pretty, but it looks like it doesn't get much actual use. I think I prefer a bit of clutter that looks like a real gardener actually uses it. Good luck tomorrow, I hope it's a fun experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful garden full of great plants and personality. Tidy gardens amaze me. Have a good day tomorrow and have someone take pictures so we can get the full story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the workbench with Alison. We always have people exit our garden through our work area which looks like a work area, otherwise it gives the impression that this is all easy and no work is involved. People are going to love your garden with all the art and unusual plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this garden, full of art and whimsy. I think I spotted a Shannon Buckner's orange piece. As evident by the front door, they don't shy away from bold colors. There are so many details and corners to explore. I appreciate the level of commitment and love that goes into this garden. Have fun tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People who open their gardens are the best, have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a crammed full garden. I am sure this old doggie was pooped trying to keep up with all the excitement of having people in and out of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With so many great gardens practically in your backyard, you don't really need to fly across the country to collect great ideas, do you? I was impressed by that palm leaf(?) plaque.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely garden! I'm afraid my gardens will never be magazine immaculate. Once again more inspiration to keep working in my tropical jungle.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love seeing "Magazine immaculate" but it is a lot of work to achieve. Thanks for sharing a garden we were not able to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. I love the gravel pathways and of course all of the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love looking at containers in gardens, but I'm terrible about watering, so I try to resist putting containers out. Otherwise in a few weeks I am pulling out dead flowers. I am jealous of your life - getting to go see all these gorgeous gardens, and sharing them with us. Thank you for that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magazine immaculate is a god description. I would have no problem relaxing there but I can't imagine the owner having a spare second! It really is a perfect combination of well-tended, well-designed, and beautiful. I love the fences.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved 'visiting' Laura's garden, and look forward to hearing about your open garden experience yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspirational and so well laid out.
    Love the old, tired puppy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That palm frond plaque is stunning. The containers are elegant. The potting bench...if only!

    Hope your open garden went well. Did you get tired of hearing everyone tell you how wonderful it is? Nah...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the potting bench as well Peter! I'd like to have it in my garden, I think the Laura's garden is very peaceful, quiet and cozy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.