-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Hughes Water Garden Center

Meanwhile, back on that May visit to Portland Nurseries with Danger, our next stop after lunch was Hughes Water Gardens.  


This was my first visit to Hughes and I'm so glad we stopped. It was a joy to wander through the large garden which incorporated formal and naturalist water features.

Turn a corner and it seems like you've come upon a stream in the forest. 

Unusual garden art was everywhere. 




Of course, water churned, gurgled, cascaded or simply reflected in a dizzying array of situations. 

This guy's been in the water a little too long or maybe it was just Portland's winter. 


An indoor pond.  Perhaps these are tropical waterlilies?  I remember one of Loree's posts showing Victoria amazonica (Giant Amazon Water Lily) growing in a tropical area.  However the non-water plants look hardy.  Maybe the tropical house wasn't yet open/


So beautiful.  In my next garden I'll have a pond large enough to grow waterlilies!








Hughes also carries non aquatic plants like Hosta 'Vulcan' which was too pretty not to bring home. 

Thanks again, Loree, for suggesting this place; what fun it was!

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! Everything but the kind of creepy skinless guy. I love the Asian-style structure with the flying-nun roof. That is so cool.

    I'm glad you brought that Hosta home with you also. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful setting (it would be nice to work in that environment). I liked everything I saw in this post except the creature coming out of the pond that would probably give me nightmares. Love the orange wheelberrrow-bike and the fountain 'swirl' to it's left: elegant and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always impressed by the number of nurseries and gardens you visit. Now you are getting to the ones around here that I have yet to see. This one has been on my list forever...now it has risen to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I wonder why we didn't go in the tropical house, it's right next door. You're right, maybe it wasn't open...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to remember, back when we lived in Massachusetts and I had a pond, that tropical water lilies hold their flowers above the water on stems, and hardy ones float on the water. So the pink one in front that is standing above the water is probably tropical. Hosta 'Vulcan' is very pretty! I've ordered from Hughes, but I've never visited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful place! I'd hyperventilate if I were there, those water lilies look great! I can't wait for springtime to see my water lilies again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. I love that long pool with the statue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to limit myself from going here too often - I already have too many water lilies and there is no more room for more water gardens. It's always worth a look though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, to live in a place where I could have a water feature larger than a fountain! My favorite was the naturalistic stream in the 18th photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like my kind of place. I love water gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm all about the unique garden art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's a beautiful place. Not at all what i expected for the title. So much more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to have one of each of those water features. WOW and...all the 'stuff'. Hosta Vulcan is one I have never seen. It is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sigh. I would so like to have something bigger than my little fountain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.