-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Visiting Judi Hook's Magical Kingdom

You may remember previous visits to Judi Hook's Garden in Spanaway.  If not, click here.  Judi's work continues to evolve and she's always working on something new.  We'd arranged for a visit on the day after a big wind storm.  and she asked that I ignore the parts of her garden in disarray due to the fallen fir branches everywhere.  I couldn't find any, perhaps because she already had a crew working with her all morning picking up.  First, some work you may recognize.



Judi's succulent strewn rocks are gorgeous.



I first met Judi years ago when she was working on kenitic pieces for which she had me create fused glass parts. This is one of those.

Imagine my delight at finding that Judi is also a skilled gardener. 


My favorites are what she calls her blingy things.


This one is a cousin of the one Judi made for me.  

She's also designed cool metal stands for her work.



These evolved from her smaller "seed pods" which resembled allium seed heads.  




Not only her work but the way in which it's displayed makes my heart sing. 

Inside the workshop.



 Who would have thought of turning lucite grapes

into these?


Here's who.  Judi with some bum off the street. 

Judi has been busy creating creatures that she calls Prairie Elves because she lives on the prairie and they are her happy and diligent  garden guards like elves might be.

These are all made with found objects.

Each has his/her own personality.



They look cute but you wouldn't want to pick a fight with one of them!



As long as you treat them with respect, they'll be very kind to you. 



Adorable and fierce at the same time. 




There's strength in numbers.

Judi's output is amazing considering that she also cares for her multi acre garden and did I mention that she has horses and boards them for others in her huge barn.  Pastures surround the garden, thus the fence visible in some of the pictures.




Here's some more of what these creatures are guarding. 




I cherish each visit to Judi's enchanted garden, seeing the horses, breathing the clean country air, and chatting with this gifted woman. Hope you had fun too!




26 comments:

  1. The contrast of the wood with the metal and glass bling is perfect. I may have to try to create my own succulent rock as that seems within my capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a succulent rock or ten would look great in your garden!

      Delete
  2. Judi is a force! The Prairie Elves are fantastic, but what really caused me to gasp was the shot of the planting circle intersecting the straight pathway. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much imagination and hard work! She welds too? I love the Prairie Elves. Like danger, I'm loving that gravel path intersected by the planting circle. So nice to see a shot of you yourself on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi finds the objects, designs her creations and works with a welder to put them together for her.

      Delete
  4. Extraordinary doesn't BEGIN to describe these intriguing, fanciful, colorful creations! Wow! Is she a glass-blower AND a welder? That bum off the streets is quite a handsome dude! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, she is neither but she is the creative force behind the works. finds the objects and meticulously designs each one working with a welder to put them together. Having fused glass for her creations, I know that she has a strong vision before she begins and is able to give exact instructions as to what she wants. It's amazing to me.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely fabulous and fun! Such creativity! I love the little creatures. And Peter you are looking very dashing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The prairie elves are indeed adorable. I like how she's mounted her creations on wood too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She keeps coming up with new ways to display things. Her creative well is very deep.

      Delete
  7. Thank you dear Peter for this visit to Judi's wonderful, artsy garden. I love it. My favorite of her blingy pieces was the one with blues/purples and hearts. :-)

    I love the photo of you two together.

    Thanks for sharing all of these fantastic garden spots that you visit and take photos of. Very inspiring.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a good week too, Lorraine. Thanks for coming along on the adventures!

      Delete
  8. The more I see moss and succulents on rocks, the more I realize I must do that! I love her metal figures with your glasswork--the prairie elves are particularly whimsical and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moss/succulent rocks are pretty awesome as is her work.

      Delete
  9. She is a very talented lady! Thanks for sharing
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a remarkably creative talent this Judy is! Her elves are wonderful! Does she do the welding too, or does she have a person to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful garden filled with character! It must be fascinating to examine all the details. I also like the blingy things. However, not all of those elves looked friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are wild sculptures! Love the blingy things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic, each and every piece is outstanding. This is something after my own heart, stained glass and metal art has always captivated me. So nice to see you, too, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's high praise coming from someone as talented as you are, my friend!

      Delete
  14. I'm a little nuts about the metal wings and would probably just hang the wings from my fringe tree. What a dynamo. Thank you for this glimpse, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressive amount of work from such a gifted artist. Rarely does this type of garden art appeal to me, but she has got it down! Thanks for sharing your visit with us - nice to see your smiling face, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love stained glass in the garden, and these are wonderful - especially the robot/monsters.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.