-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Hortlandia 2017: One Weekend Two Big Sales part two.

Because I had to work Saturday night and because we'd just attended the Rhododendron Species Garden Foundation spring sale,   I wasn't sure about driving two hours each way to attend the Hardy Plant Society of Oregon's spring sale, Hortlandia.  It would have been a good day to putter around the garden but at the last minute, we decided to jump in the car and go.  Even though we didn't get to play at other nurseries on this quick visit, I'm glad we went to this excellent sale.

The sky was blue; the sun's warmth welcome.  Portland is usually a few degrees warmer than we are up north and the trees all seemed to be further leafed out.

One's heart begins to pound a bit faster...

Oh my goodness, the plants!  The crowd was large  but gardeners are the nicest people so it was rather nice.  I love eavesdropping on  conversations at events like this!

Gorgeous bromeliad at Contained Exuberance. 

The educational tables are always a delight.  Oh my, that huge magnolia branch is amazing.

Carnivorous plants are holding their own in popularity.  

Oh my, agaves.  Must investigate. 

A. Lime Streak.  

Rita Lee's Nursery grows cacti and succulents.  I may have grabbed a couple of things here.
 This is a bad picture of Crassula coccinea 'Campfire' as it's even louder and more brassy in person.  Just my kind of plant.

Cool containers from Rare Plant Research in Oregon City.  I'm looking forward to seeing more on May 20 at their nursery open.


Magnolia 'Genie' at Gossler Farms.  It does lighten up a tiny bit as it opens but not a lot.  Yum!

Davidia 'Lady Sunshine'  has such pretty foliage. 

 And this?  Well, this is the plant holding area where the obsessed deposit their plants so that they can go and gather more.

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Gold Rush'  second sighting this season.  

An added bonus is that I got to see a few Portland-area blogging friends briefly before it was time to go to the pick up side of plant holding.

Standing in line to check out, I overheard a couple of strangers strike up a conversation about, what else, their gardens.  One even had pictures on his phone to share.  

Hope you had a chance to head on over to the sale this year and if not, do plan on attending next year!


13 comments:

  1. We have never been to this plant sale. This year we are having trouble keeping up with the local sales. We have frequented several lovely nurseries lately, though, on our travels.
    I always enjoy seeing your plant sale posts and feeling your exuberance coming through your words and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is certainly no dearth of great sales and nurseries this time of year!

      Delete
  2. Oh, those potheads are the funniest thing! I hope you bought one. I would have gone, but I had just been down there for the Little Prince outing the weekend before, and wasn't really up for another trip so soon. Did you get some great plants? The flower on that Magnolia is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a pothead and some great plants but spent a lot less than I thought I would.

      Delete
  3. It's a good thing I didn't see that Magnolia 'Genie' at the Gossler booth, I may not have been able to resist its charms.

    You caught Matthew looking at the carnivorous plants! Greet to see you, ever so briefly. So you're coming down for the RPR open?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnolia 'Genie' s a dwarf 10-12’ shrub. Everyone always asks for a “dwarf” magnolia with tulip shaped flowers. This New Zealand hybrid will have dark purple flowers in spring followed by lighter purple sporadic flowers in summer. Description from Gossler Farms Nursery. They have it in stock and will happily mail it to you if you don't get down to Springfield much. Just sayin'.

      It's always great to see you too! I didn't know that was Matthew until I was looking at the pictures later. Planning on going to the RPR open!

      Delete
  4. I want that Magnolia underplanted with that bright red plant. Both of them are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart was racing just looking at photos of those sale tables! (Maybe it's a good thing we don't have anything down this way that stacks up to that kind of sale.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was picking up my plants, a fellow with two boxes of plants was asking me about sales tax (there is none in Oregon.) Seems he was taking his plants home to Oklahoma City. Maybe a certain Los Angelean would like visit this sale next spring.

      Delete
  6. What a spectacular setting. You didn't say, but I bet Crassula coccinea 'Campfire' came home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting. Magnolia 'Genie' is a bit otherworldly, or underworldly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.