-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Discovering Secret Gardens

Believe it or not, there are even more nurseries between Heronswood and Far Reaches.  So often, I pass signs on the side of the road but am in a hurry to get to the next nursery or the car is so full of plants that I couldn't imagine fitting another pot inside.  However, on this trip I made a note to stop at as many nurseries as time would allow before closing time.

A sign on the side of the road and a driveway that looked like it went into something that was mostly bins of bark and gravel had often been passed along the way but today, the plant mobile decided to investigate.

What a splendid surprise to find a huge nursery!

Three well-mannered, friendly, and very sweet golden retrievers greeted me and a nice lady introduced them to me but I forgot their names.  Those cuties moved too fast to get a picture.  They were in front of that bench when I picked up the camera.  You can see cute videos of them in action here.

Lots of great plants!
 And a staggering selection of pots all skillfully displayed.

Just when I thought I'd reached the end of the place, there was more and more to explore.

Rhododendron 'Everred' "A new rhododendron hybrid. The deep red purple new growth is incredible. The leaves eventually turn deep purple. The indumentum is deep burgundy year round. The red bell like flowers are a pretty addition."  The description by Gossler Farms was lifted from Plant Lust.  I've admired tiny specimens of this plant but had never seen one of this size for sale before.  One had to come home with me.  The blooms have begun to open and rather than being a "pretty addition," I think they are a stunning crowning glory on this lovely plant.

 More to explore.  Because I mostly enjoyed the place, there weren't as many pictures taken. 

These must be pussy willows.

 Admiring my own reflection.  So would you if you were as handsome as I!

Seriously considered bringing one of these home for In A Vase on Monday.


Evergreen goodness.

Looks like it's not so secret anymore.

So glad to have turned into Secret Gardens!

8 comments:

  1. I bought a 'Everred' from Roger Gossler when is came to Joy Creek a few years ago !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brutal to tease me again after yesterday's amazing nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While celebrating your Secret Gardens, I'm mourning the loss of a wonderful nursery (I guess it's been a few years ago that it close) that was very conveniently located for us. It was The Best! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to visit new nurseries, you never know what you might find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like another great find! So glad you found something to buy. We are losing our independent nurseries around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So amazing to find somewhere you've never been before. Looks like a fabulous place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your intrepid adventures never fail to entertain...amazing how you keep coming up with new frontiers to explore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, Peter! Be honest - you don't have a job, you are just a plant hippie, travelling from nursery to nursery! All those buisnesses should pay you for spreading a word about them!
    As for me, here I am having my morning coffee with a generous piece of our Easter cake, and suddenly - ouch! I have a guilt! I haven't been to this Nursery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.