-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day April 2017

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day is hosted by Author of Potted and Pruned, Living A Gardening Life, Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Click here to see what's blooming in gardens around the world today!

We had a little bit of sun today and a lot of rain so dashing out between downpours to get pictures of what's blooming was a bit of a fun game.  Here's a bit  of what I found.  While spring has been cold and wet, the garden is getting that exuberant spring heaviness as foliage bursts forth.

Daffodils and Lunaria annua

Perhaps I have too many camellias as I lost track after counting twenty.  In my defense, they can be kept on the small side with pruning, have handsome evergreen foliage, and grow well in pots.  These three will be the representatives for them all.



Rhododendron 'Everred'

Rhododendron 'President Roosavelt'

Hellebores.  These few will represent the many.






Skimmia japonica

One nice thing about our cold spring is that blooms seem to last longer and tulip time is a bit delayed so we appreciate them more.  The first few tulips are just starting.  'Princess Irene'

'Orange Queen'

 Dicentra or whatever they're calling Bleeding Hearts now (Lamprocapnos spectabilis)

Our native that wants to take over my entire garden.

Paeonia tenuifolia flore pleno not quite in bloom and not yet in the ground.

Daphne odora

It's magnolia time!

M. 'Black Tulip' 

Inherited magnolia

Sanguinaria canadensis 'Multiplex'

Pulmonaria

Primula something or other

Trilium kurabayashii

Fritillaria  meleagris

Petasites japonicus var. giganteus 

Stachyurus praecox

Stachyurus salicifolius

Inherited Arnica

Forget-me-nots are popping up between pavers all over the garden.  Who am I to discourage them?

Hyacinths
 Kerria japonica

 Euphorbia  robbiae

Bergenia

Berberis darwinii

Inherited mahonia.  
 Uvularia grandiflora

Sorry for the bad picture of Edgeworthia chrysantha 'Akebono' but I didn't feel like wading through wet foliage to get closer.

Downpour, dodge into the greenhouse.  Poor  Scadoxus puniceus flower got mostly ignored this year as it decided to bloom facing a different direction.

Albuca bracteata (syn. Ornithogalum longibracteatum), known by the common names pregnant onion, false sea onion, and sea-onion.

Clivias

Kalanchoe manginii

Abutilon 'Victor Reiter' (The others inside are also still blooming.)

Rhipsalis salicornioides

There were more things blooming outside but this post is far to long already!  Happy GBBD Everyone!

25 comments:

  1. So many beautiful blooms! Love that bellwort! And the Kalanchoe! I really miss seeing all the camellias now that I live up north. So pretty. Happy GBBD, and happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauties all runners-up to Most Beautiful Clivias!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much to see and when spring happens slowly we can better appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure you are not running a garden center on the side? What a wealth of color and form you have on display, despite your weather. Love that orange barberry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Rain is magic, and you've had a lot of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great collection of blooms. Interesting that your tulips are just coming through. We are in peak tulip time as seen in my last blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot of the Trillium and the Berberis! It's always interesting to me to see that you are just that little bit further along than me because of my 600 foot elevation. My Princess Irene tulips aren't colored up yet. I do love our native bleeding heart, but yes, it has left a zillion seedlings in my shady back corner. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a plethora of blooms. A lovely time of year. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see that the garden is up and off to a running start after all your cold, wet weather. Tulips and oodles of plants I don't have a chance of growing! That Kalanchoe manganii looks huge - it it? Mine was a sorry little thing less than a foot high. Happy GBBD, Peter! I hope drier, warmer, sunnier days are in your near-future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! You have such wonderful blooms in your lovely gardens. It's all magical.

    Happy Easter ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of the early spring bloomers. It must be magical in your garden right now. In the greenhouse too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous garden! And the camellias are stunning! But your Hellebores and Tulips really take the cake! I adore those plants but unfortunately I can't grow them in my climate, I live in South America,subtropical humid climate and it's not cold enough to grow those Lovely plants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no...there's more? Good thing you stopped now, before our envy boiled over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy GBBD! So much color and so many blooms! Good heavens I'm jealous of your Camellias. Sigh. I might have to try a Camellia in a pot again, because I am so ... in ... love with them. Happy Easter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many interesting plants you've got blooming Peter! I really love Kerria-especially 'Picta', a variegated variety. Time to get planting. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, so many blooms, one nicer than the other. You featured several shrubs I'd never seen until I "met" them recently in Victoria, BC.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a small botanical garden there, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have so much blooming. How tall is that pink camellia? There is one in our neighborhood that has to be the largest I have ever seen. They are so impressive here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking amazing Peter! I thought of you when I was fondling Kerria japonica blooms at Portland Nursery the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of great color! Like your choice of Tulips - 'Princess Irene' is definitely in my top five! I like that you have Myosotis popping up all over. It doesn't grow so well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always enjoy seeing what you have in bloom, there is always something a bit different.I have never seen Stachyurus salicifolia before. It has been warm here so many of the beauties that you are enjoying have finished.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you have so many stunning blooms!
    I like my garden to be like this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Peter you have excelled yourself with this post. I hope you're right about camellias responding to pruning. I'm just about to cut one in half..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, you have such a lovely garden! Everything is so gorgeous. I especially love that Stachyurus praecox. Really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a fantastic variety of blooms! I remember seeing the rhododendrons and camellias in the PNW in the spring one time, but I am still amazed seeing your photos at how big and full of blooms they are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.