-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, April 3, 2017

In A Vase On Monday - Eggsactly What the Doctor Ordered

Inspired by the arrangement of another IAVOM contributor last year around this time, I searched for a footed egg vase and actually found several.  Even though it's not yet Easter, I decided to use one of the egg vases today.  We've had sun for the last couple of days but I was on a nursery hop all day Saturday and worked Sunday.  When I finally  went out to the garden on Sunday afternoon, it seemed to have suddenly become very full and green.  Weeds are everywhere and tasks abound to a point of being overwhelming but it did feel good to see the sun again.

This small but very fragrant arrangement contains hyacinths, Stachyurus preaecox, Kerria japonica, Bergenia, Skimmia japonica, and Viburnum × bodnantense ‘Dawn.’

Joining the vase are some tiny glass eggs found at a craft store and a couple of amphibian spring singers that came from a sale several years ago.

They want you to remember that birds aren't the only spring-singing oviparous  animals and wonder why cute fuzzy chicks and ducklings always get top billing.

A sunny and fragrant spring day is eggsactly thing to make a gardener's day!  My spring break starts tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be quite nice at least for the first few days.  Hooray!

the rather addictive meme, In A Vase On Monday, is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Do click here to see her arrangement this week and to find links to those of other participants.  

14 comments:

  1. The Easter Frog would have made more sense than the Easter Bunny, or at least as much sense. Very vernal and and colorful (and fun) vase this week! Hope you have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun vase! Loving all the spring color and Easter frogs :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning I was thinking I'd better get out the Easter decorations and brighten the mood. I've got eggs but no egg shaped containers. It's raining here so your display has brightened my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That vase is 'to die for'! Love it, love it, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, why did I think you were on Spring Break last week? So glad to hear that wasn't the case. MUCH better weather this week...yay! That vase is so you, glad you found it. Love the frogs...and can't wait to read about your Heronswood adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like danger, I thought you were on break last week too. Maybe because our school here was? OK, hope you get some work done this week. I know that overwhelming feeling. Weeds are everywhere this year, given my neglect last year. I'm not sure I'd eat a chocolate egg brought to me by the Easter Frog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, frogs sing very loudly no important that no melody, Peter. Are your hyacinths cut or potted? Love their scent very much, it remind spring scent.
    Wonderful spring composition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you could find flowers more perfectly matched to that delightful vase elsewhere, Peter. I love the frogs. Maybe if we continue to get rain on a seasonal basis, frogs will reappear here - I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure why the weeds grow faster than the cultivated plants but the list of tasks certainly grows ever longer. Frogs and toads are very busy here, I hope they are eating the slugs too.
    You little egg vase is very delicate and I'm imagining the scent. A great little snapshot of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All set for Easter! Those little glass eggs with the frogs are special. And the egg vase ... fun! The blooms and foliage you chose for the arrangement are perfect for the location and the design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! so full if springliness!
    We worked all day in Jill's yard today. Have to make hay while the sun shines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a bijou arrangement! Perfect and glowing. The stachyurus adds a touch of luxury - what a pleasure it must be to have so much of it that you can bear to pick it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty vase and I love your flower arrangement and the whole vignette.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right, peepers are one of the best harbingers of spring. With the emergency excavation of my pond this winter, I sadly wonder what has become of these dear friends. On a brighter note, your egg vase is eggsactly what I need to see today and the cluster of glass eggs add to the cheer. Have a relaxing, yet fun week gardening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.