-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Visiting Alpine Nursery

Whenever I visit my sister or, in this case, Judi Hook earlier this month, the plant mobile takes a brief detour to see what's new at Alpine Nursery, which always has an abundance of great plants and fun yard art.

Rhododendron 'Hoopla' ...swoon.  If only I had space.

Shady characters.

Alpine's large selection of Acer palmatum was starting to show spring color.




Just think of the foliage this character could eat!

Phormium surrounded by Sanguisorba hakusanensis 'Lilac Squirrel'

We're having a cool, wet spring but this guy told me something about a great fall.

Rust seems appropriate for the pacific northwest. 

Meanwhile, down on the farm...

One of several water features scattered around.



Have you seen these?  they were new to me.  A genius idea to keep top-heavy potted trees from blowing over.

Magnolia 'Black Tulip.' My own is blooming now as well and I'm so glad it was added to my jungle.

Some birds must have though that this Magnolia stellata was a great place to raise a family.

 Rhododendron 'Golden Ruby' is neither golden nor ruby but it's sure spectacular!


A thrilling and unusual sight, Sciadopitys verticillata 'Gold Rush'  had to come home with me.  

So many unusual evergreens!


The pink foliage tones of Helleborus argutifolius 'Snow Fever' made it also need to come home with me.

The greenhouse was ready for Easter!


The selection of succulents has grown!

TAAA   ("There's always an agave"  -  Loree Danger Garden Bohl)




Oh-oh, looks like there'll be some dinosaurs tromping around the place in short order so you might want to get over there and shop for plants while it's still safe.
 This place is for the birds (and plant lovers.)

12 comments:

  1. Agaves in Monrovia pots, that's kind of an unusual sight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been several years since I was there, it's quite a bit out of the way. Looks like they have some great plants, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have some great plants but are kind of far from you.

      Delete
  3. Do those magnolia flowers stay that darkly colored once they open? Pretty dramatic color. I swooned when I saw that Hellebore in the catalogs but not hardy here. Usually the ones with the most patterning on the leaves won't survive here. I'm sure you are going to enjoy having it in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, 'Black Tulip' stays exactly that color until the petals fall to the ground. In my limited experience they maintain that tulip shape for longer than others and never really get that full open look. Sorry that Hellebore isn't hardy for you. I'll enjoy it for us both:)

      Delete
  4. Cool. I am considering this nursery as a stop on our tour after our garden group visits the Chase Garden if we can't go to Old Goat Farm. We had planned on OGF, but it may not be open. I await hearing from Gary this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your area has the BEST nurseries! Imaginative, whimsical and well-stocked. Quite frankly, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are extremely lucky to live here. Have you ever considered moving out west. No snow to shovel in the winter...

      Delete
  6. I don't know how to explain it but I'm in love with that Humpty-Dumpty...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool snail, and great tulips!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.