-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, February 26, 2018

Winter Walk-Off 2018

Every year at this time, Les at A Tidewater Gardener hosts "Winter Walk-Off."  We are challenged to walk, camera in hand, and capture what we've seen.  One can drive to his/her walking location but I chose to set off on foot from my front door.  Join me for a little saunter through the hood.

My neighbor, Katherine's hellebores.

Pieris japonica in the same garden. 

Can't decide what color to paint your house?  Why choose just one? 


This one is for sale.  See the listing here.

Thank goodness our deep freeze is over for this winter (hopefully!)


There are a lot of houses in this post.  I love old homes!

Nice to know that other people also have pot ghettos!


This moss lawn peppered with crocus stopped me in my tracks.  




 I always enjoy walking by this lovely and well-kept front garden.  It's beautiful even in the winter!



Looking down from the sidewalk at my pal, Florence's garden. 

No royalty invited me in for tea...


The following crime  scenes may not be suitable for the faint of heart.  Obviously, one is not meant to enter here.

Trees which have been pollarded for many years.  There are no power lines overhead.

The sign says it all!


Interesting fence.

Mystery shrub in bloom.  Any guesses?







21 more days until spring!

19 comments:

  1. You live in a very nice neighborhood, Peter! Love those big ol' houses with all their architectural detailing! I'm thinking the yellow blooming tree might be a maple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun walk! There were many beautiful homes, and a few head scratchers. I think those pollarded trees were the inspiration behind the talking (apple throwing) trees in the Wizard of Oz...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll submit Cornus mas for that mystery shrub. I agree, what a lovely neighborhood! (except for that multicolored house, I'm not into that)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice old homes and so different from one another. That crocus-peppered moss lawn is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely houses are around your place Peter. I liked the dark blue one, the fence is great -)
    The last photo is funny -I think the dry flowers will get green in 21 days, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mystery shrub, (a tree actually) is indeed Cornus mas, lovely in winter and you can eat the fruit.
    I enjoyed the walk round your neighbourhood. I have never been to America so it all looks very exotic to me. I love all the wooden houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, what an interesting walk and wonderful old homes and some lovely gardens too. What a great neighborhood.

    Have a great week Peter ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing all the houses in your neck of the woods. So many have character. The gardens are all different. Lovely. As to the shrub...Spicebush??

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many fabulous houses. I want the one with the incredibly steep roof so the snow just slides right off. Nothing like a beautiful old house to make the heart beat faster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many great old Victorians. Yours must have been a pleasant walk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have made my evening better than it was, Peter. I love the diversity of houses in your neighborhood, and I look forward to the architecture you normally show in Winter Walk-offs. I am drawn to those craftsmen houses, especially the one with the curling roof. Those pollarded trees look as if they might go for a walk anytime soon. Around here we have an epidemic of crapemurder, where the trees are just hacked to pieces every year. It's a real sore topic among horticulturist. However, I found myself doing something similar to a Robinia 'Frisia' in my front garden to control its size. I am going to call it pollarding, and not wrong plant, wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. my earlier comment from this morning is gone already. I wonder how it drops off...

    You have an eclectic group of houses in your neighborhood. I particularly like those with the covered balconies. I'm loving the moss lawn that is peppered with purple crocus. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous neighborhood! I love, love, love the moss lawn! May back lawn is slowly turning to moss, and I'm thrilled. I'll have to think about adding some crocuses--that's nifty! Those pollarded trees are so sad. Oh, and I love the multi-colored house!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huh. Those pollarded trees are interesting. I wonder why they did that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your winter walk-off in Tacoma is always so interesting. I love all those huge old houses. That poor pollarded tree near the stop sign reminds me of the ones from The Wizard of Oz that attacks Dorothy and her walking companions. It didn't come to life and start throwing things at you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very lovely walk. I enjoyed both the houses and the gardens you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great Winter Walk-Off post!! The ginger-breading on those houses is really nice, love all the colors on the trims (even the multi-colored house). Your moss with the crocuses coming up through them stopped me too, wow! That is something I would love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The houses in your neighborhood are lovely. Your mystery shrub might be cornelian-cherry (Cornus was).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.