-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 9, 2018

Random Fun from the Northwest Flower and Garden Festival

The amazing woman who introduces the speakers at the Northwest Flower and Garden Festival compared the show to a spring ephemeral that blooms gloriously for a few days and is then gone for another year.  Fortunately, there are still three days of the show left.  Today was very busy so I'll  share some random cool stuff from the day before the show opened. 

Glass glorious glass!



Some details from Millennium Landscape & Construction's Garden "Mother Nature as Muse - Mixing Magic & Materials." 



Loved the lighted pavers.

Ravenna Gardens 


Abraxas Crow - Steel Sculpture by Gunter Reimnitz



I'd heard of Sycopsis sinensis but had never seen one in bloom in person before.  It's available at Christianson's Nursery.

Cute little garden pests.


The floral arrangements were all coming together nicely.





Just thinking of how hard so many people work year round to produce this delightful show makes me tired but I'm so grateful that they do as the show is a highlight of the garden year and signals the beginning of the garden year for me. (We won't discuss the years when there's been snow on the ground during the show.)

I hope your weekend plans include dropping by the convention center to enjoy the sights and smells and be inspired.

14 comments:

  1. These were also some of my favorite things from yesterday! I was so exhausted from all that walking around, I got the best night's sleep last night than I've had in a while. It was so fun to have lunch with you, and to walk around the show floor. I always love Ravenna's booth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great fun. Did you buy anything or was it just for looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the last shot of the woman putting her display together.amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO regret not making it up there! I love the stacked stone edging material in the Millennium display, as well as the lighted pavers. I wonder if there are solar-lit pavers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics, Peter. I never could get a decent photo of Bob's Rustics on Thursday - too many people - but I love his sheds! I just finished a marathon of photos of the display gardens. Now I'll start organizing my Market Place stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore those rustic sheds. Every year I'm thankful I can't afford them; I couldn't possibly choose a favorite... The flower arrangement that featured those baby raccoons was wonderful: it had multiple miniature vignettes of fantasy fairy land. At least that is how I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An enjoyable preview - thanks, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoy all the details. They absolutely get my garden compulsion stirred up. The crow gate and the sculpture you can put on a wall. Oh my I want one. Yes, maybe it is a bad case of the WANTS that gets stirred up by these photos. Even that little stack of flat stones makes me itchy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the floral arrangements

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm enjoying the show through your lens. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thanks for sharing! I was over at the Wisconsin Garden Expo presenting yesterday, but I didn't venture out today because of the snow and cold. I think I'd rather be in your part of the country this time of year. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! OMG that scene with the red tulips and the Cornus? Acer? with red stems. What a great color scheme! I love those lighted pavers too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does look like a wonderful show. I love that last Crow/Raven panel, and the flower arrangements are beautiful. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.