-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 16, 2018

February 18 Foliage Follow-Up

Pam at Digging hosts Foliage Follow-up on the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day to remind us of the important role of foliage in our gardens.   Join me in wishing this spectacular person, longtime blogger, inventor of the Garden Bloggers' Fling, and author a very happy twelfth blogging anniversary!

Here's some of the foliage currently thrilling me in my garden at the moment. 

This begonia, purchesed at a fall plant sale from Windcliff Plants never made it into the ground.  The pot is in a sheltered area outside and the foliage never died back.  Crazy!

Likewise, Darlingtonia californica, the carnivorous Cobra Lily, never died back this year.

I love the pink tones that this Hebe takes on in cold weather.

While it weeps during the winter, this Cylindropuntia, a cutting found by the side of the road beneath a free sign, will perk up again as the weather warms.

Arum italicum has looked glorious all winter long and, as warmer temperatures arrive, it'll die back for the summer. 

 The big excitement is that some  plants have decided it's time for spring.

Syneilesis palmata

Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty'

Hydrangea

Persicaria 'Red Dragon'


Begonia pedatifida

 Tree peony 

Lonicera 


Mecanopsis 'Lingholm'  How grateful I am to live in a climate that is favored by the glorious blue poppy.  They like it even better in Alaska!

I keep forgetting the name of this ground cover but love the hairy new growth.

Join the party and show us your foliage!

14 comments:

  1. Not just the Cylindropuntia will perk up with warmer weather, I believe you will too, as you seem a bit grumpy due to the latest weather forecast. Your garden doesn't seem to mind and forges ahead with its usual exuberance. Arum italicum makes a perfect picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, not really grumpy, just a little disappointed as I was planning to do some gardening over the long weekend but with the high winds, rain, and now snow and freezing temperatures, that probably won't happen. Keep warm!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to take a look and see if my umbrella plant has started to pop up. I have Podophyllum nosing its way up already too. I hope this coming cold snap doesn't knock back your unprotected Hinckley Begonia. Maybe drag it quick into the greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. There are a couple of things that'll get dragged inside for this freeze fest.

      Delete
  3. Are those plants early or is this the typical time for them? Lots of lovely foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a warmer than usual January so some things are a little ahead of the game.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry what? You've got Syneilesis emerging? That's insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is in a pot close to the house but it is crazy.

      Delete
  5. Emerging plants may slow down for a bit now that snow and cold are returning. And because it's COLD and drippy outside now, I won't be going out to photograph my foliage. Sorry. I did pick a bit of it for an arrangement earlier today, to put in a vase with forsythia branches I am forcing to bloom indoors before it blooms outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I have emerging here are crocus and daffodil foliage. They are just sticking up out of the ground. It is exciting to see this. I can imagine your excitement with those little peek a boo looks at foliage. Happy FF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got such a diverse collection of foliage, Peter. I'm glad to see your plants emerging to embrace spring, even if winter hasn't fully released its hold up your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much promise wrapped up in this post Peter. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love that Cobra Lily! We don't have much that is green in the garden yet here in New England that isn't a pine needle or other evergreen. Soon though! I am so envious of your blue poppies - I remember those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see those green shoots and buds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.