-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

That Time Just Before

It was late January, the sun was shining sideways through a break in the cloud cover casting a golden light against the gray.  The garden was full of sprouting bulbs, camellia buds, snowdrops ready to pop open.  It was a time just before the hellebores were fully open, before the floral parade of 2018 began in earnest.  So much of the garden on the verge of springing back to life.

Pumpkins from fall are still hanging around.  They either need to rot in place soon or they'll be moved into the yard waste bin.

It's still wet and moss hasn't been cleared from the paths for summer.

The canna fire in the fire pit now looks like smoke but the glass flames continue to blaze away.  I like it this way.

The anticipation of spring is palpable as is the excitement over the 2018 Northwest Flower and Garden Festival.  I'll be attending a preview of the gardens today and will try to post some images upon my return to whet your appetite for this year's show.

Ophiopogon japonicus, new to me this year has the coolest and most long lasting blue fruits.

In the greenhouse the Schlumbergeras continue to pump out flowers.  They're much later this year but who'd complain about any blooms in winter.

Just about time to head on out to the show preview.  Will I see you there this year?

13 comments:

  1. Are you sure you didn't paint those berries blue to match your railing and door? How do you get moss off the path without harming nearby plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I either pull it off by hand or power wash it off if there's a lot. The surrounding plants do get a little miffed but get over it in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  2. I decided not to go to the preview this year, but I'm second-guessing that decision. I'm going to be at the show for most of tomorrow and then on Thursday for the Tweetup, so I figured that was going to be exhausting enough. But it would have been fun to be there with you and maybe hit a couple of nurseries after. Your garden is looking good in winter, I love the Canna "smoke."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now's that tough time where I have to decide if I'm going to look at your sneak peek, or let it all be new for me on Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That blue gate really stands out in the garden at this time of year - a perfect choice of paint color on your part. Enjoy the show! I look forward to seeing your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden still looks so visit and rich even in the depths of winter. Have a wonderful time at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks quite different in winter, like it shrunk, with all the bare trees and shrubs. It is harder to get lost in it, as I almost did when I visited last summer.
    I'll be visiting the show tomorrow, Wednesday; I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still a few corners where the surrounding buildings are obscured but you're right, the garden shrinks in the winter and more of the stuff is visible.

      Delete
  7. It's always a treat to see your garden. Love the blue and want a door like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to catch up after a busy day. Yes, I saw you at the preview today! I'm so glad you and Alison told me about it last year so I could get in on it this year.
    We will be returning for the full show on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I lived anywhere near I would certainly be going. As it is I will have to await your posts to enjoy all the goodies they will be showing. Have fun and take a lot of pictures and copious notes to share.
    Your garden looks lively for this time of year. I encourage moss here. I don't have to worry about too much of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love those blue berries! But why do you feel the need to remove the paths of moss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I let all of the moss stay, it covers the paths entirely, not a bad look but the contrast of the red brick and green plants is more pronounced when the paths aren't also green.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.