-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, February 19, 2018

In a Vase on Monday: I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends


Recently, my garden blogging pal Alison (Bonney Lassie) gave me this sweet vase she'd purchased at Disneyland.  She'd noticed that I seemed a little grumpy about the cold snap predicted (and now beginning) and needed a little cheering up.


For those of you in cold winter climates, predictions of temperatures in the high teens may seem downright balmy but here it  felt as if spring would arrive early and plants, usually much later to make an appearance have begun to show their faces because of our warm January.  For those of you in the Pacific Northwest who are fretting about your plants, I offer these winter blooms from my garden in Alison's vase to pass the cheer along.

Joining the vase is this bird nest, a symbol of hope that spring will, indeed arrive...eventually.

A visit to Vassey Nursery (in the snow!) yesterday found the folks there busy protecting plants and unpacking all sorts of new merchandise like this cool and inexpensive head pot.  She's wearing a primrose dragged in from the cold.

The little red cyclamen begged to be added to the picture.  Who could say no to such a sweet redhead?

The crocus opened in the warmth of the house and,  like a cherished friendship warmed the cockles of my heart. 

As I write this, the wind is howling outside, the snow and hail on the ground are frozen and the temperature is below freezing (Accuweather says the real feel is 10 degrees) but inside there's a little pot of spring.

Perhaps this head pot's name should be Alison.  Thanks pal for the thoughtful gift, it made my day!
Cathy at Rambling in the Garden is the inspirational host of In a Vase on Monday.  Click here to see her vase this week and to find links to those of other participating bloggers.

15 comments:

  1. I think we are getting your weather: temp right now is 36 and rain is forecast, though on the map it looks as though it may pass us by. That would be good as rain on snowy, frozen ground means flooding and water in our basement. Ugh. Your vase is lovely and it must be so nice to have flowers from your own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That colorful little bouquet looks so cheerful in the colorful vase, and with all the other accoutrements, makes a very festive, spring-like grouping. I'm so glad the little gift warmed you up. I love the head planter, she looks like she's wearing a wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in that cold climate and chomping for spring to arrive although too early here we pay for it later....we are warming this week as you get cold....but it will be over before you know it....here the garden is not emerging at all yet and we will get flooding now with a fast snow melt and lots of rain predicted. Those vases bring me such delight as I look for signs of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way that cute little redhead snuck in - I used to be one of those!
    Ode to Spring... and Alison! Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Peter. What a great head you have for arranging..seen that you have come up with bright tints, and highlights. Am I egging this up a bit? Happy IAVOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a festive little bouquet. I'm feeling the glamorous primrose head dressing. Knowing the weather was getting very cold and windy, I brought in 3 daffodils that bloom in the garden. At least I can enjoy them inside. Or rather the homeowner can; he returned from a golfing vacation in Phoenix straight into this weather system. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful ode to Spring, which I miss already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely little scene of spring colour. Just what we need, this winter seems endless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your weather sounds horrible but you have spring indoors. There is always something to make me smile here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the whole composition but I absolutely adore those lovely crocuses. I'm sorry it's turned cold there again when the promise of spring felt within reach. It's suddenly turned cold here too but then our definition of cold (below 60F) would probably seem balmy to you, so everything is relative. (Hey, with the wind-chill, it's below 50F!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to have to try harder. My blog post seems so boring compared with yours! Love everything. Made me smile. Much needed mid winter. All the best. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely gift filled with wonderful color from your gardens.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love that vase ! Alison did good. And your arrangement is so very festive-we are having a cold snap too here in Norcal.It's a jolt of reality after such a mild winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of it, but especially the colors of that little gift pot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is always disconcerting when the temps drop precipitously after growth has started, frigid enough to kill tender blooms.
    I was shocked to see a mock up of the jet stream– straight out of Alaska down to Mexico then right up to Newfoundland - what????! Crazy scary. However we East Coasters are loving the warm gift from Mexico. An ill wind bringing some good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.