-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

One Gift That's Still Wrapped


You may remember these photographs from last year's Winter Walk Off:



This is Tacoma's once-grand Elk's Hall.


You may also remember that Mcmenamins purchased the building and plans were made to restore and repurpose the building.  Last year a bit of activity got locals excited and then everything came to a halt as the company concentrated on other projects.


Not to long ago, work began  again on the building, which I see every day on my commute and just after Christmas, scaffolding was erected around the building and it's now wrapped like a huge gift for the city of Tacoma.


There's not a lot of space for both parking and gardens but I know that Mcmenamins will do something really special with the space. 

It even looks like they're working around this old Monkey Puzzle Tree. 
Along with the rest of the city, I eagerly await the grand reveal,  the unwrapping of this splendid gift!

15 comments:

  1. That’s fantastic! How exciting...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello there YOU ! .. Thank you for stopping by my blog with such kind comments : ) I appreciate them !
    It is hard getting back to blogging, but I usually think of it as a journal (to get myself going ? LOL)
    Plant lusting is always at the back of my mind,are all lusts like that?haha .. I know naughty!
    This is going to be an interesting reveal and I so LOVE the fact the worked around the Monkey Puzzle tree (one of my husband's favorite)
    It is great to visit old friends again : ) Later Dude ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that building from last year's post. The old building can use a bit of sprucing up at the very least. Were there any clues as to the repurposing? Living spaces? Retail? Either way, at least the building stays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mcmenamins does great resaturants, pubs, hotels (mostly in cool old buildings) so I'm imagining that's what they'll do with this building.

      Delete
  4. I also remember reading about that building last year. Kind of cool and also kind of creepy with it all wrapped up. I suppose it also means you all could be surprised (negatively) when the "package" is unwrapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be but Mcmenamins has a good reputation for preservation of historical buildings so I'm hoping for a positive surprise.

      Delete
  5. This is exciting news! I hope they manage to save the monkey puzzle, and put in an interesting, albeit perhaps small, garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Is there a timetable for completion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their website https://www.mcmenamins.com/elks-lodge-opening-2019 says it's opening in 2019 but not exactly when.

      Delete
  7. Their website says "early 2019", and also has a couple of renderings of the completed renovation. Also says "The property will include 44 guestrooms with private baths; space for live music, events, weddings and meetings; a ballroom transformed into hotel rooms with terrace views of Puget Sound; three restaurants; a McMenamins brewery; and on-site gardens that will provide the restaurants with fresh, seasonal ingredients."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting wrap! I look forward to future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is exciting! McMenamins has done some wonderful work in repurposing classic old buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't read your post last year. I haven't been reading your blog that long. I hope they restore it into something to be proud of and most of all useful because that way the building will survive. I just love these big beautiful buildings. They have so many architectural details that are beautiful and no longer made due to the craftsmanship needed and money to create them. It always seems such a shame to me to tear them down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to have a company with such a good reputation handling the work. I bet it will be amazing, which is so often not the case with these old buildings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.