-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Foliage Follow-Up January 2018

Foliage Follow-Up is hosted by the inimitable Pam Penick at Digging on the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day each month to remind us of the important role foliage plays in our gardens every day of the year.

Here are some random shots of foliage that caught my eye while wandering through my garden.

This hardy begonia is in a sweet spot outside, still in it's nursery pot, and hasn't died back.  Yet.

Fatsia polycarpa 'Needham's Lace' is looking very happy.  I'd failed a couple of times with this plant before and am elated that there are now two thriving in my garden.

Trevesia aff. palmata, a hardy relative of Trevesia palmata.  It's also still in it's nursery pot.  Must find a place for it in the garden!


Disporum cantoniense 'Moonlight' is an herbaceous perennial.  Please don't tell this specimen as it looks like it wants to be evergreen.  I certainly don't mind.

I never tire of the seemingly endless variation of patterns of cyclamen foliage.


Pelargonum deciding not to die.  


My sister and niece bought me a Chief Joseph Lodgepole Pine for my birthday years ago.  It got some sort of insect pest beneath the bark and I thought it was a goner but isolated it in a pot and did a little chemical intervention, and in a couple of years it revived.  Finally got it in the ground last summer and it's now coloring up nicely.

All the other Persicaria microcephala 'Red Dragon' in the garden are nothing but leafless stems but this one, a division, pulled as a weed and thrown in a shady corner to die, doesn't seem to know it's winter.


A really cool variegated shrub from Cistus (the tag is around here somewhere) along with a cool miniature mondo grass from somewhere.  Please ignore the dead stuff and the now exposed orange pot in the background.

Finally, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Pelt’s Blue' is really very blue.  Now if I can just get Tropaeolum speciosum to grow up all of these in my garden, my life will be complete.
What foliage is thrilling you in your garden this month? 

15 comments:

  1. Wait! What is that gorgeous plant with the curled leaves? A Hart's Tongue fern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see the pot ghetto is alive and well. I emptied mine briefly but then couldn't bear to look at that big empty space. A spot of retail therapy has restored equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are doing the foliage follow-up. I've missed them in recent months. Disporum cantoniense 'Moonlight' is so bright and cheerful in a shady corner. Could it be the praying monk had something to do with it not knowing it's winter? I love Chief Joseph conifer, what a wonderful gift. Maybe you move the monk nearer Chief Joseph next, for a little divine intervention and continued success?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a light year for you for begonia posts, at least so far. Maybe you're moving on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing the range of plants you can grow. Year round begonias alongside a lodgepole pine, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Peter,
    I'm back from my Christmas break and I think it's still possible to wish you a happy and healthy new year with lots of wonderful garden surprises!
    Your garden looks very green. How is the winter in your area?
    What concerns your question: I have to look first and then I post it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow looking good! We are having our 3rd hard freeze...my garden has died back except for the evergreens. I love your various and fun plants. I have been trying to find out more on begonias. I have one in the ground and it comes back every spring. Do you know how much cold they can take...I haven't found any info on growing them in zone 9. I have several in pots on my porch but I can bring them inside so they still look good. Right not it is snowing in Houston and it will drop to 17 over night....crazy unusual weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much beautiful evergreen life! That Lodgepole Pine sure is cute. I remember seeing them out West during some of our trips--so much personality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden looks absolutely tropical to me after staring at snow for so long. I love seeing all the different colors of green. From the darkest to the lightest. Happy FF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tom actually noticed the dusty colored grass os some sort in front of the red twig dogwood, glowing in a sunbeam. There is so much that stays green, or variegated, here in the winter. One of my blog friend who lives in Minnesota commented on our GREEN grass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That ruffly Asplenium is something else... wow! And the fact that the Pelargonium is still going strong says something about how mild winter has been. I covet your Fatsia Needham's Lace. It's one that has been on my wish list for a while... Maybe this year will be the year...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you are doing the foliage follow up, I've missed those. Disporum cantoniense 'Moonlight' is benefiting from the monk's prayer. It lights up that shady corner and looks so crisp and fresh. You should move the monk near Chief Joseph: it may help it get established. What a fine gift it is: I adore Chief Joseph pine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely selection, Peter. That lodgepole pine is especially cool. I'm glad you were able to save it. As for your warm and sunny winter, it sounds like the PNW has made off with Texas's weather. Please send it back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that noID variegated shrub. Nice save on the 'Chief Joseph' pine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you’ve finally had a Fatsia polycarpa 'Needham's Lace' take! Mine is starting to get “tree” like...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.